From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
I just passed my lovely old first OSX machine, a 12" Powerbook with
1.33GHz, 1.25gig and 10.5.8, to my mum. She almost immediately
installed a 2006 game, My Kingdom For The Princess (a resource
management race against time, kinda like a small-level based
Settlers).

It runs like a dead pig, takes a good three minutes to get through the
splash pages and loading bar to the menu screen, and the menu screen
doesn't actually render correctly. It's not using much CPU or overmuch
memory.

Can anyone with PPC generation hardware have a try, see if it's a
general PPC thing, a general G4 thing, a low memory thing, a 10.5
problem...

Also, despite the name it's an excellent little game and well worth a
punt.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/role_strategy/mykingdomfortheprincess.html

Cheers - Jaimie
--
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing
From: Phil Taylor on
In article <3j5866hqu613cv1nsobp45t5q6ge34km1j(a)4ax.com>, Jaimie
Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> I just passed my lovely old first OSX machine, a 12" Powerbook with
> 1.33GHz, 1.25gig and 10.5.8, to my mum. She almost immediately
> installed a 2006 game, My Kingdom For The Princess (a resource
> management race against time, kinda like a small-level based
> Settlers).
>
> It runs like a dead pig, takes a good three minutes to get through the
> splash pages and loading bar to the menu screen, and the menu screen
> doesn't actually render correctly. It's not using much CPU or overmuch
> memory.
>
> Can anyone with PPC generation hardware have a try, see if it's a
> general PPC thing, a general G4 thing, a low memory thing, a 10.5
> problem...
>
> Also, despite the name it's an excellent little game and well worth a
> punt.
>
> http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/role_strategy/mykingdomfortheprincess.html
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Tried it on a 1.33 GHz G4 Mini. It's just the same there. It also
killed Chicken of the VNC (that machine doesn't have a keyboard at the
moment, so I was controlling it from another machine). I had to borrow
a keyboard from elsewhere to shut it down.

But yes, several minutes to get past the Nevosoft screen.

Phil Taylor
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:06:48 +0100, Phil Taylor <nothere(a)all.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <3j5866hqu613cv1nsobp45t5q6ge34km1j(a)4ax.com>, Jaimie
>Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> I just passed my lovely old first OSX machine, a 12" Powerbook with
>> 1.33GHz, 1.25gig and 10.5.8, to my mum. She almost immediately
>> installed a 2006 game, My Kingdom For The Princess (a resource
>> management race against time, kinda like a small-level based
>> Settlers).
>>
>> It runs like a dead pig, takes a good three minutes to get through the
>> splash pages and loading bar to the menu screen, and the menu screen
>> doesn't actually render correctly. It's not using much CPU or overmuch
>> memory.
>>
>> Can anyone with PPC generation hardware have a try, see if it's a
>> general PPC thing, a general G4 thing, a low memory thing, a 10.5
>> problem...
>>
>> Also, despite the name it's an excellent little game and well worth a
>> punt.
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/role_strategy/mykingdomfortheprincess.html
>
>Tried it on a 1.33 GHz G4 Mini. It's just the same there. It also
>killed Chicken of the VNC (that machine doesn't have a keyboard at the
>moment, so I was controlling it from another machine). I had to borrow
>a keyboard from elsewhere to shut it down.

Sorry! I should have mentioned that it responds to cmd-q but nothing
else at all.

>But yes, several minutes to get past the Nevosoft screen.

Thank you very much for the experiment, the result of which does at
least mean that I don't have to keep fiddling with it.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
The physics and scientific approach of Armageddon was criticized for its
poor adherence to the laws of physics. This has led NASA to show the