From: Lars Eighner on
What is oxygen that it needs over 100Mb of icons?

--
Lars Eighner SAVE BEASTIE! usenet(a)larseighner.com <http://larseighner.com/>
TIP: Most ports Makefiles test for the existence of variables, not the
From: Dominic Fandrey on
On 22/02/2010 20:53, Lars Eighner wrote:
> What is oxygen that it needs over 100Mb of icons?

I'm not certain, but I think it's a theme for KDE 4.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Paul Floyd on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 08:49:05 -0500, MacPherson <anonymous(a)example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:54:06 +0100,
> Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze(a)bsdforen.de> wrote:
>
>>--
>>A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
>>Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>
> It inconveniences only those jumping into the middle of a thread

And since the days of dejanews/google, people reading posts in the
middle of a thread way after the posts were sent has become quite a
significant reality.

Pray tell, who does bottom-posting (with appropriate snippage, of
course) inconvenience?

> For everyone with a current grip on the context --which, of
> course, will be the majority of the participants, having to

At the time of writing.

> scroll past the same large blocks of already-read text over and
> over again to locate the starting point of the new material can
> begin to be quite annoying after awhile. It's a problem that
> never arises with top-posting, as experiment will verify.

I agree, since I generally killfile persistent top-posters.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr
From: MZ on
Paul Floyd wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 08:49:05 -0500, MacPherson <anonymous(a)example.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:54:06 +0100,
>> Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze(a)bsdforen.de> wrote:
>>
>>> --
>>> A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
>>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>> It inconveniences only those jumping into the middle of a thread
>
> And since the days of dejanews/google, people reading posts in the
> middle of a thread way after the posts were sent has become quite a
> significant reality.
>
> Pray tell, who does bottom-posting (with appropriate snippage, of
> course) inconvenience?

It inconveniences everybody. As MacPherson described, you have to
scroll to the bottom to read the new content.

Bottom-posting is just a convention. There's nothing inherently
advantageous about it. At some point, some dudes thought bottom-posting
was the way to go, and that became the way things are. It could have
just as easily been the other way around.
From: Ahem A Rivet's Shot on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:07:50 -0400
MZ <mark(a)nospam.void> wrote:

> Paul Floyd wrote:

> > Pray tell, who does bottom-posting (with appropriate snippage, of
> > course) inconvenience?
>
> It inconveniences everybody. As MacPherson described, you have to
> scroll to the bottom to read the new content.

You have missed the very important point about appropriate
snippage. There should never be reams of old content to scroll through,
just enough to establish the context of the response.

> Bottom-posting is just a convention. There's nothing inherently

Actually it's not bottom posting that is ever advocated it is
interspersing replies where they are relevant which is the time honoured
convention of USENET.

> advantageous about it. At some point, some dudes thought bottom-posting
> was the way to go, and that became the way things are. It could have
> just as easily been the other way around.

You assume that the convention arose through chance rather than
with reason. You assume wrongly., mainly because you are thinking bottom
rather than interspersed.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Strange DHCP issue