From: LLY on
Dear Access experts,

I have been cracking my head for some time over this problem but I am
only an Access newbie. Is it possible to make Access send back certain
data back to an online website for authentication? This is to check
that the database is not distributed indiscriminately around the
internet.

Thank you very much in advance.
From: Tom van Stiphout on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 03:23:58 -0700 (PDT), LLY <lightaiyee(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

That's really much more complicated than what could be expected of a
rookie.
But say that you got that part done: WHAT would you use to determine
legitimate use or not. It's not that easy.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

From: Rich P on
You could run a web service on your web server and have your Access
application send parameters to the webservice. The web service could
return other parameters. If these other parameters are consistent with
your Access application (similar to userID, password, ...) then you
would allow the Access application to run. You could run code like this
in a secured code module in Access - where you run Access security and
only secure the code module that contacts the web service. You would
not distribute the mdw file (the access security database - when you use
Access security). There IS a certain amount of programming expertise
required to do this, but this is kind of how you could accomplish such a
task.

Rich

From: Access Developer on
The feature you describe is not included as part of Access, but almost
anything is possible with programming and communication with additional
software. As Tom said, it's a job for a professional (and, I'd qualify that
as "advanced professional"); also, as he mentioned, there's more to "calling
home" to validate legitimate use than just sending a message.

Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
Co-author: "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions", published by Wiley
Access newsgroup support is alive and well in USENET
comp.databases.ms-access

From: LLY on
On Jun 15, 9:29 am, "Access Developer" <accde...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The feature you describe is not included as part of Access, but almost
> anything is possible with programming and communication with additional
> software. As Tom said, it's a job for a professional (and, I'd qualify that
> as "advanced professional"); also, as he mentioned, there's more to "calling
> home" to validate legitimate use than just sending a message.
>
>  Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
>  Co-author: "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions", published by Wiley
>  Access newsgroup support is alive and well in USENET
> comp.databases.ms-access

Thank you everyone for all your replies.

Is it possible to implement this communication with Access macros? If
not, what sort of platform should I consider using?