From: Oilcan on
"Today Quicken completely screwed up my 401K, there was 1 transaction"

Pretty high standards for a total screw-up.

OTOH, I have to fix almost every transaction (about 40 per month) I
receive from Vanguard each month. I don't blame Quicken - I known
Vanguard's data file needs improvement.

Oilcan

From: Meebers on

"Oilcan" <oilcan(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Today Quicken completely screwed up my 401K, there was 1 transaction"
>

> OTOH, I have to fix almost every transaction (about 40 per month) I
> receive from Vanguard each month. I don't blame Quicken - I known
> Vanguard's data file needs improvement.
>
> Oilcan

I have same problem with Ameritrade, when the Mutual fund has a dividend,
they send me a buy and a Reinvest dividend, Ameritrade says they are
working on it, but has been over a year now. Yes I have to do a manual
correction.

From: Andrew on
Meebers wrote:
> "Oilcan" <oilcan(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
>> "Today Quicken completely screwed up my 401K, there was 1
>> transaction" OTOH, I have to fix almost every transaction (about 40 per
>> month) I
>> receive from Vanguard each month. I don't blame Quicken - I known
>> Vanguard's data file needs improvement.
>>
>> Oilcan
>>
> I have same problem with Ameritrade, when the Mutual fund has a
> dividend, they send me a buy and a Reinvest dividend, Ameritrade
> says they are working on it, but has been over a year now. Yes I
> have to do a manual correction.

Just want to get this right - you actually receive TWO transactions that end
up purchasing the same number of shares twice? The BUY and REINVEST
DIVIDENDS are two separate transactions, say, for .015 shares twice of the
same stock? That theoretically will end up having a negative cash balance
in your account...that's what you have to manually fix?

Wow!
Regards -

- Andrew

From: Meebers on

"Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in message
> Meebers wrote:
>> "Oilcan" <oilcan(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> "Today Quicken completely screwed up my 401K, there was 1
>>> transaction" OTOH, I have to fix almost every transaction (about 40 per
>>> month) I
>>> receive from Vanguard each month. I don't blame Quicken - I known
>>> Vanguard's data file needs improvement.
>>>
>>> Oilcan
>>>
>> I have same problem with Ameritrade, when the Mutual fund has a
>> dividend, they send me a buy and a Reinvest dividend, Ameritrade
>> says they are working on it, but has been over a year now. Yes I
>> have to do a manual correction.
>
> Just want to get this right - you actually receive TWO transactions that
> end up purchasing the same number of shares twice? The BUY and REINVEST
> DIVIDENDS are two separate transactions, say, for .015 shares twice of the
> same stock? That theoretically will end up having a negative cash balance
> in your account...that's what you have to manually fix?
>
> Wow!
> Regards -
>
> - Andrew
It should only be one transaction, Reinvest OR .... another way, dividend
and a buy. It is a little wacky on how it works. It does not actually buy
the shares twice because the Reinvest transaction contains everything except
the # shares involved, only the buy transaction does. I have to edit the
reinvest transaction, copy in the # shares and exit, then delete the buy
info. First noticed this when my cash balance was short and saw the BUY
removing cash. The Reinvest itself should not change the cash balance
(normally) . Another headache is when I receive a dividend ( BUY Reinvest)
for a MF that was sold several days ago. I Delete both transactions and
make a simple dividend entry. (cash) :o)

From: JACL on
Notan wrote:
> On 3/11/2010 3:25 PM, JACL wrote:
>> I remember over the years Quicken has had many problems .. now I have to
>> report that Moneydance wins.
>> Today Quicken completely screwed up my 401K, there was 1 transaction
>> from Prudential, a dividend reinvest (simple?) .. it made 4 transactions
>> out of this, 2 placeholders (?) and two transactions .. the net result
>> was the fund went down by half and I was left having to do the whole
>> thing manually.
>> I downloaded from one of my accounts and I see we have about 5 options
>> for Quicken ending in 2010 .. is this some game?
>> The fact is Quicken will dump this product soon, and personally I don't
>> want my passwords and account numbers all over the web .. the
>> alternative is Moneydance a somewhat primitive, although effective tool
>> and the only downside is it's not free.
>
> Does Moneydance connect directly with FIs, or do you have to download
> files and then import them?
>
> If it's the latter, add that to the "downside" list.

What happens is you logon at the bank and many of them have a 'download'
option where you select usually Quicken, Money or a comma delimited file
... in your system you will have a default program which 'uses' that
file, if I choose Quicken it gives me an error saying it cannot validate
the institution, but MD just asks for an a/c verification and works fine.
My point was that one of my banks has a list of Quicken options??
JACL