From: JACL on
I remember over the years Quicken has had many problems .. now I have to
report that Moneydance wins.
Today Quicken completely screwed up my 401K, there was 1 transaction
from Prudential, a dividend reinvest (simple?) .. it made 4 transactions
out of this, 2 placeholders (?) and two transactions .. the net result
was the fund went down by half and I was left having to do the whole
thing manually.
I downloaded from one of my accounts and I see we have about 5 options
for Quicken ending in 2010 .. is this some game?
The fact is Quicken will dump this product soon, and personally I don't
want my passwords and account numbers all over the web .. the
alternative is Moneydance a somewhat primitive, although effective tool
and the only downside is it's not free.
JACL
From: Notan on
On 3/11/2010 3:25 PM, JACL wrote:
> I remember over the years Quicken has had many problems .. now I have to
> report that Moneydance wins.
> Today Quicken completely screwed up my 401K, there was 1 transaction
> from Prudential, a dividend reinvest (simple?) .. it made 4 transactions
> out of this, 2 placeholders (?) and two transactions .. the net result
> was the fund went down by half and I was left having to do the whole
> thing manually.
> I downloaded from one of my accounts and I see we have about 5 options
> for Quicken ending in 2010 .. is this some game?
> The fact is Quicken will dump this product soon, and personally I don't
> want my passwords and account numbers all over the web .. the
> alternative is Moneydance a somewhat primitive, although effective tool
> and the only downside is it's not free.

Does Moneydance connect directly with FIs, or do you have to download
files and then import them?

If it's the latter, add that to the "downside" list.

From: Jeff on
On 3/11/2010 5:38 PM, Notan wrote:
> On 3/11/2010 3:25 PM, JACL wrote:
>> I remember over the years Quicken has had many problems .. now I have to
>> report that Moneydance wins.
>> Today Quicken completely screwed up my 401K, there was 1 transaction
>> from Prudential, a dividend reinvest (simple?) .. it made 4 transactions
>> out of this, 2 placeholders (?) and two transactions .. the net result
>> was the fund went down by half and I was left having to do the whole
>> thing manually.
>> I downloaded from one of my accounts and I see we have about 5 options
>> for Quicken ending in 2010 .. is this some game?
>> The fact is Quicken will dump this product soon, and personally I don't
>> want my passwords and account numbers all over the web .. the
>> alternative is Moneydance a somewhat primitive, although effective tool
>> and the only downside is it's not free.
>
> Does Moneydance connect directly with FIs, or do you have to download
> files and then import them?
>
> If it's the latter, add that to the "downside" list.

That is an excellent question. Have you successfully downloaded
transactions?

I downloaded the trial version of MD which apparently permits unlimited
downloads. So I set up an account to link to my Smith Barney account.
But every time I tell it to download its transactions MD fails and I get
an error box:

"There was an error communicating with your financial institution. The
details of this error are below.
A communication or parsing error occurred. This could be the result of
a network problem, a proxy error, or misconfigured server.
Error Description: java.io.IOException: HTTP Error:500 Server Error."

This is on the same laptop PC (running Windows 7 64 bit) that downloads
with no problem into Quicken. That is what is stopping me from really
testing MoneyDance.

Jeff

From: Andrew Hamilton on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:25:55 -0500, JACL <jacl(a)operamail.com> wrote:

>I downloaded from one of my accounts and I see we have about 5 options
>for Quicken ending in 2010 .. is this some game?
>The fact is Quicken will dump this product soon, and personally I don't

How do you really know that? And will you be able to export all your
cumulative Quicken data into some other app?

And if Quicken stops support, what stops you from using the product,
unmodified, for the next N years? The eventual switch to a 128 bit OS
in 2014 (?), which _supposedly_ won't support "legacy" 32 bit
applications? I'm assuming that even Q 2010 is still a 32 bit
application.

>want my passwords and account numbers all over the web .. the

Completely, completely agree, at least 225% on this point. The only
real security is an "air gap" between your data and the Internet.

-ah

From: Eric J. Holtman on
Andrew Hamilton <Ahamilton90900(a)yahoo.com> wrote in

> And if Quicken stops support, what stops you from using the product,
> unmodified, for the next N years? The eventual switch to a 128 bit OS
> in 2014 (?), which _supposedly_ won't support "legacy" 32 bit
> applications? I'm assuming that even Q 2010 is still a 32 bit
> application.

<snark>

I'd have guessed "8 bit" myself.

</snark>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Is there a way to add archived transactions?
Next: test