From: Mike S on
On 7/4/2010 5:44 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> I think I found the answer to this. It's bizarre,
> but it fits the symptoms:
>
> http://www.codehouse.com/javascript/articles/scroll_area/

Nice find!

> The deal seems to be that if you use a DOCTYPE
> tag in IE6+ that specifies standards compliance mode then
> you have to use documentElement and body is broken.
> But if you use "quirks mode" by not adding the DOCTYPE
> tag, documentElement is broken and body works!
>
> I find it hard to believe that MS actually went out
> of their way to break the BODY properties, but it accords
> with what I'm seeing. I had been testing my own pages,
> which I always write without a DOCTYPE tag so that I
> can get consistent behavior in a single webpage version
> across all versions of IE.
>
> I just tried the sample code with two pages open,
> one compliant and one quirks mode. Get and Let both
> worked fine without errors as long as both methods
> were used. Each page worked with one of the methods
> and ignored the other. It may be possible to test for
> compliance vs quirks mode, but it doesn't seem to be
> necessary.

Good to know, thanks.
From: Juergen Thuemmler on
Hi Mayayana,

> http://www.codehouse.com/javascript/articles/scroll_area/

thanks for this info; I'll modify my code in the same way.
It would be nice, if it could be extended to firefox etc.:
xScroll = window.pageXOffset;
but how/where do I get this "window" object?

Juergen.

From: Mayayana on

--| thanks for this info; I'll modify my code in the same way.
| It would be nice, if it could be extended to firefox etc.:
| xScroll = window.pageXOffset;
| but how/where do I get this "window" object?

The page I linked was about webpage scripting,
which is what most people are concerned with.
Within the webpage, window is an inherent object:

<SCRIPT.....>
ClientScreenHeight = window.screen.availheight
...etc.

If you're programmatically accessing the document
you can get it as document.parentWindow. At least
that's true in IE.

But you're talking about two different things:
webpage scripting (in which case you need javascript)
vs automation. Shell.Windows doesn't return Firefox/Opera
objects. There's no automation object for those browsers.
(With the possible exception of the Firefox ActiveX
control.)

From: Mike S on
On 7/5/2010 9:28 AM, Juergen Thuemmler wrote:
> Hi Mayayana,
>
>> http://www.codehouse.com/javascript/articles/scroll_area/
>
> thanks for this info; I'll modify my code in the same way.
> It would be nice, if it could be extended to firefox etc.:
> xScroll = window.pageXOffset;
> but how/where do I get this "window" object?
>
> Juergen.

Have you seen this?

http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm

Mike

From: Mayayana on

| http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm

I just started playing around with that. It's too
hot to go outside today and I've nothing more
important to do. :)

So far I get a fail with no info. when trying
to navigate somewhere. As far as I can tell
the only docs are on that page. I finally tracked
down the VB sample project to here:

http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/embedding/browser/activex/tests/vbrowse/

But each file there is an auto-generated webpage
of form code. You have to choose between viewing
the file, copying the text, then removing the line
numbers -- or downloading the file and cleaning it up.

In any case, the sample doesn't seem to be particularly
useful. It's just a skeleton of obvious code subs.

It drives me crazy that OSS people will so often spend
months on code but can't be bothered spending 10 minutes
on docs.

Nevertheless, I'm curious about this. There may be
possibilities. But it leaves a lot of questions, like where
is history, cache, prefs, etc. when one uses a control?
It would help if anyone has used the control extensively
and maybe has code/tips to share.