From: NadCixelsyd on
I wrote a VB5 program which I use daily on my own PC. My brother
wants a copy of the EXE file so I email it to him. Right out of the
box he gets a message that MSVBVM50.DLL is missing. Apparently this
is some VB run time library module. I had incorrectly assumed that
only Windows run-time modules would be needed.

Back in my QuickBasic days, QB had an option to incorporate all the
run-time modules in the EXE file. (The EXE module was larger, but it
wasn't necessary to have QB on the running computer. I'm using VB
5.0. Can I do this? If not, what's the easiest way to let my brother
run my program? Are any other run-time files missing besides
MSVBVM50.DLL?

If I upgrade to VB6 (which I have, but haven't installed), will it be
easier?
From: Kevin Provance on

:
: Back in my QuickBasic days, QB had an option to incorporate all the
: run-time modules in the EXE file. (The EXE module was larger, but it
: wasn't necessary to have QB on the running computer. I'm using VB
: 5.0. Can I do this? If not, what's the easiest way to let my brother
: run my program? Are any other run-time files missing besides
: MSVBVM50.DLL?

No, no "static linking" options in VB. You have to ship the runtime for VB5
compiled exes.

: If I upgrade to VB6 (which I have, but haven't installed), will it be
: easier?

Only easier in that the VB6 runtime is installed with XP, Vista and 7,
without the need to ship...but again, it doesn't include the ability to
compi;e the runtime into the exe.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
NadCixelsyd has brought this to us :
> I wrote a VB5 program which I use daily on my own PC. My brother
> wants a copy of the EXE file so I email it to him. Right out of the
> box he gets a message that MSVBVM50.DLL is missing. Apparently this
> is some VB run time library module. I had incorrectly assumed that
> only Windows run-time modules would be needed.
>
> Back in my QuickBasic days, QB had an option to incorporate all the
> run-time modules in the EXE file. (The EXE module was larger, but it
> wasn't necessary to have QB on the running computer. I'm using VB
> 5.0. Can I do this? If not, what's the easiest way to let my brother
> run my program? Are any other run-time files missing besides
> MSVBVM50.DLL?
>
> If I upgrade to VB6 (which I have, but haven't installed), will it be
> easier?

That runtime was pretty common on most systems until, I believe,
Windows 7. I don't remember if it shipped with Vista, or not. Anyway,
just point him here:

FILE: Msvbvm50.exe Installs Visual Basic 5.0 Run-Time Files

He'll need more than just the one DLL, as it's dependent on a few
others that also come with this download.

And yes, the VB6 runtime is shipped with XP through Windows 7, so it'll
be far easier to share things that don't have additional external
dependencies.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: David Kaye on
NadCixelsyd <nadcixelsyd(a)aol.com> wrote:

>I wrote a VB5 program which I use daily on my own PC. My brother
>wants a copy of the EXE file so I email it to him. Right out of the
>box he gets a message that MSVBVM50.DLL is missing. Apparently this
>is some VB run time library module.

Translated, it means Microsoft Visual Basic Virtual Machine 5.0. Any recent
copy of Windows should have the MSVBVM on it.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
David Kaye expressed precisely :
> NadCixelsyd <nadcixelsyd(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
>> I wrote a VB5 program which I use daily on my own PC. My brother
>> wants a copy of the EXE file so I email it to him. Right out of the
>> box he gets a message that MSVBVM50.DLL is missing. Apparently this
>> is some VB run time library module.
>
> Translated, it means Microsoft Visual Basic Virtual Machine 5.0. Any recent
> copy of Windows should have the MSVBVM on it.

Windows 7 definitely needs it installed. HTH!

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org