From: Kevin Provance on

"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
: Tony Toews <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
:
: >That's why I'm only using user controls with no external dependencies
: >such as DLLs or OCXs.
:
: The inherent controls come from within MSVBVM.

That is incorrect. Unless you truly know the answer, please don't speculate
as doing so when you are incorrect will confuse folks rather than help them.

The inherent VB controls (command buttons, textboxes, checkboxes, etc, etc)
are classes in the VB6.OLB. That is a separate file from the VBxMSVBVM.DLL.
Those controls do NOT come from within it.

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Bawwk! Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!

From: Jason Keats on
Kevin Provance wrote:

> "David Kaye"<sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> : Tony Toews<ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
> :
> :>That's why I'm only using user controls with no external dependencies
> :>such as DLLs or OCXs.
> :
> : The inherent controls come from within MSVBVM.
>
> That is incorrect. Unless you truly know the answer, please don't speculate
> as doing so when you are incorrect will confuse folks rather than help them.
>
> The inherent VB controls (command buttons, textboxes, checkboxes, etc, etc)
> are classes in the VB6.OLB. That is a separate file from the VBxMSVBVM.DLL.
> Those controls do NOT come from within it.

Is that speculation, Kevin?

VB6.OLB is a type library according to Eduardo A. Morcillo.

http://forums.devx.com/archive/index.php/t-65508.html

I believe Eduardo, as I've never heard of anyone distributing it with
their applications.
From: Leo on
Jason Keats brought next idea :
> Kevin Provance wrote:
>>
>> "David Kaye"<sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> : Tony Toews<ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
>> :
>> :>That's why I'm only using user controls with no external dependencies
>> :>such as DLLs or OCXs.
>> :
>> : The inherent controls come from within MSVBVM.
>>
>> That is incorrect. Unless you truly know the answer, please don't
>> speculate
>> as doing so when you are incorrect will confuse folks rather than help
>> them.
>>
>> The inherent VB controls (command buttons, textboxes, checkboxes, etc, etc)
>> are classes in the VB6.OLB. That is a separate file from the
>> VBxMSVBVM.DLL.
>> Those controls do NOT come from within it.
>>

> Is that speculation, Kevin?
>
> VB6.OLB is a type library according to Eduardo A. Morcillo.
>
> http://forums.devx.com/archive/index.php/t-65508.html
>
> I believe Eduardo, as I've never heard of anyone distributing it with their
> applications.

I think Kevin and Eduardo are both saying the same thing differently. I
think Kevin is refering to the API terminalogy.

From: Kevin Provance on

"Jason Keats" <jkeats(a)melbpcDeleteThis.org.au> wrote in message
: Kevin Provance wrote:
: >
: > "David Kaye"<sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
: > news:i0jv1r$77v$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
: > : Tony Toews<ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
: > :
: > :>That's why I'm only using user controls with no external dependencies
: > :>such as DLLs or OCXs.
: > :
: > : The inherent controls come from within MSVBVM.
: >
: > That is incorrect. Unless you truly know the answer, please don't
speculate
: > as doing so when you are incorrect will confuse folks rather than help
them.
: >
: > The inherent VB controls (command buttons, textboxes, checkboxes, etc,
etc)
: > are classes in the VB6.OLB. That is a separate file from the
VBxMSVBVM.DLL.
: > Those controls do NOT come from within it.
: >
:
: Is that speculation, Kevin?

Actually, it is not.

Eduardo's quote:

"VB6.OLB is a type library that contains the declaration of interfaces used
by VB controls. You don't have to distribute it with the application because
the type library is used only at compile time."

Do you understand, Jason, that this statement is just a rewording of what I
posted previously? Do you understand that a type library, like a DLL, can
hold interfaces, functions, subs, etc? The difference is when VB compiles
the code, anything used from the type lib is compiled into the EXE so
redist'ing the file becomes unecessary.

Here is a hint. Object browser. Look it up for yourself.

: I believe Eduardo, as I've never heard of anyone distributing it with
: their applications.

Well...good for you. I could care less if you believe me or not (evern tho
we basically said the same thing...although I left out the fine point of
using a type lib over a dll...should I beg for forgiveness now?). Since I
can back up what I say with facts, it's not speculation. You believing me
or not? Not at the top of my list of things to worry over.

From: Mayayana on
| Eduardo's quote:
|
| "VB6.OLB is a type library that contains the declaration of interfaces
used
| by VB controls. You don't have to distribute it with the application
because
| the type library is used only at compile time."

So vb6.olb is just an internal tool for the IDE, which
then translates to CreateWindowEx calls and WindowProcs
at compile time? That makes sense. I never thought
of it that way.

This sounds like the sort of topic that could benefit
from one of Ralph's erudite "the rest of the story" posts. :)