From: Tony Toews on
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 00:05:58 GMT, sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye)
wrote:

>>Presumably some very bright person will figure out a solution if
>>Windows version next doesn't have the VB6 runtime installed. And they
>>will charge a reasonable fee. Yup, faint hope.
>
>I don't have a Win7 machine handy, but jeez, what's the problem?

Windows 7 does have the VB6 runtime installed.

>Nobody in
>their right mind distributes a VB application without an installation program
>anyway, and the intall program automatically installs the dependencies
>including the VM.

<waving hand> Me. "The Auto FE Updater is a drag and drop
deployment on the server. No installation required. Just download,
unzip the files and place on the server. The utility does not require
any extra admin privileges to test or for the users to run the
utility. The IT folks in your organization do not need to be involved
in your decision to use the Auto FE Updater."

That's why I'm only using user controls with no external dependencies
such as DLLs or OCXs.

Karl stated that I was a subversive. Hehehe

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Ron Weiner on
Tony Toews submitted this idea :
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 00:05:58 GMT, sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye)
> wrote:
>
>>> Presumably some very bright person will figure out a solution if
>>> Windows version next doesn't have the VB6 runtime installed. And they
>>> will charge a reasonable fee. Yup, faint hope.
>>
>> I don't have a Win7 machine handy, but jeez, what's the problem?
>
> Windows 7 does have the VB6 runtime installed.
>
>> Nobody in
>> their right mind distributes a VB application without an installation
>> program anyway, and the intall program automatically installs the
>> dependencies including the VM.
>
> <waving hand> Me. "The Auto FE Updater is a drag and drop
> deployment on the server. No installation required. Just download,
> unzip the files and place on the server. The utility does not require
> any extra admin privileges to test or for the users to run the
> utility. The IT folks in your organization do not need to be involved
> in your decision to use the Auto FE Updater."
>
> That's why I'm only using user controls with no external dependencies
> such as DLLs or OCXs.
>
> Karl stated that I was a subversive. Hehehe
>
> Tony

Me Too! Been distributing an app since 2007 that is distributed on a
USB thumb drive and can be run right from the thumb drive (although we
do recommend doing a drag drop to the local hard drive).

Our requirements are win 2K or better and IE 5 or better. Looks like
you and I are part of the same subversive cell.

Rdub

From: Nobody on
"NadCixelsyd" <nadcixelsyd(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> Back in my QuickBasic days, QB had an option to incorporate all the
> run-time modules in the EXE file. (The EXE module was larger, but it
> wasn't necessary to have QB on the running computer. I'm using VB
> 5.0. Can I do this?

KBasic is source compatible with VB5/6, but if you have forms, you have to
redesign them around the GUI used by KBasic, which is called Qt. Unlike
VB5/6, it can produce EXE's without any dependency on external files except
what came with the OS. It's multi-platform, and the EXE runs on
Linux/Mac/Windows.

http://www.kbasic.com/

From: David Kaye on
Tony Toews <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>That's why I'm only using user controls with no external dependencies
>such as DLLs or OCXs.

The inherent controls come from within MSVBVM.

From: David Kaye on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote:

>KBasic is source compatible with VB5/6, but if you have forms, you have to
>redesign them around the GUI used by KBasic, which is called Qt. Unlike
>VB5/6, it can produce EXE's without any dependency on external files except
>what came with the OS. It's multi-platform, and the EXE runs on
>Linux/Mac/Windows.

KBasic is also a klugy mess. I want to like it. I want a multiplatform
alternative to VB, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like KB is it. For one
it doesn't seem the least bit intuitive. Also, when I opened various VB
projects in KB it didn't seem to recognize them.