From: Bowser on

"Larry Thong" <larry_thong(a)shitstring.com> wrote in message
> It's been pretty brutal trying to come up with the perfect color scheme
> for
> the new i7. Since the Supermicro CSE-743 only comes in beige or black it
> is
> almost mandatory that one change the color to liven it up a bit for a
> workstation box. Well, we narrowed it down to three top choices, and boy
> was it tough! We were leaning towards a John Deere green/yellow scheme as
> our first choice with Kubota orange running a tight second. As a third
> and
> final color choice, a simple black/navy blue got rave reviews.
>
> Of course one has to consider the surrounding d�cor. So, we decided to
> keep
> the i7 beast tame and docile on the outside. This meant the simple
> black/navy blue scheme was it. Since I was never the type to bend to
> traditionalism and conformity, I decided to make the 1TB backup drive
> carriers Ferrari red.
>
> I'm still considering that John Deere scheme on my next dual Xeon build
> later this fall.
>
> <http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm261/Ritaberk/Black_Blue.jpg>

No BluRay writer? Really? You spend all that money and miss that one?

From: Larry Thong on
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 16:08:43 -0400, Bowser wrote:

>> I'm still considering that John Deere scheme on my next dual Xeon build
>> later this fall.
>>
>> <http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm261/Ritaberk/Black_Blue.jpg>
>
> No BluRay writer? Really? You spend all that money and miss that one?

What's BluRay? Never thought I needed one since I got a stack of cheap
1TB drives for backup. Blank BluRay disc are overpriced for data
storage, especially when one can get 100 dual layer DVDs for $15.

From: Atheist Chaplain on
"Neil Harrington" <not(a)home.today> wrote in message

> "Atheist Chaplain" <abused(a)cia.gov> wrote in message
>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Larry Thong" <larry_thong(a)shitstring.com> wrote in message

>>> <snort>
>>>
>>> The only Intel CPU I use nowadays is the Atom in my ducky little Samsung
>>> netbook. I think I still have an ancient Celeron 900 system somewhere on
>>> the premises but haven't used it in ages.
>>>
>>> Other than the netbook, it's AMD all the way for me. I'm not knocking
>>> Intel, I just think AMD provides the best bang for the buck.
>>>

>> but if your a power user there really is no choice but Intel, bang for
>> buck doesn't even come into the equation (And I'm a long time AMD user)
>> my next box will be an i7 as the best AMD cannot match it cycle for cycle
>> and I'm sick of wasting time waiting for my "bang for buck" system to do
>> what my son's Intel system does standing on its head.
>
> You may well be right -- I guess I'm not a power user. I build systems
> just as a hobby, haven't built one on anything but AMD since that old
> Celeron 900 mentioned earlier, and I'm completely happy with 'em. I
> haven't had any slowness or delays on anything that weren't caused by the
> Internet or servers on the other end. I haven't even felt a need to go to
> Phenoms -- Athlon X2s easily handle the most demanding things I ever do
> on computers.

Its horses for courses, My old AMD machine was quite capable of running most
mundane tasks, its just that now days most of the software I use for my
hobbies (photography and some video editing) just seem to chug when compared
to the way the same stuff is processed by my sons Intel based machine.
If web and a couple of office apps was all I used, then AMD would be plenty
fast enough :-)

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

From: Miles Bader on
"Atheist Chaplain" <abused(a)cia.gov> writes:
> Its horses for courses, My old AMD machine was quite capable of running
> most mundane tasks, its just that now days most of the software I use
> for my hobbies (photography and some video editing) just seem to chug
> when compared to the way the same stuff is processed by my sons Intel
> based machine.
> If web and a couple of office apps was all I used, then AMD would be
> plenty fast enough :-)

Er, if it's an "old AMD machine", then perhaps the relevant adjective is
"old", not "AMD"...

If you see my recent post on this thread, I have machines using both
"recent" AMD (phenom I) and "recent" Intel processors (core2duo), and
the AMD machine is actually quite a bit snappier, even though the Intel
CPU has a higher clockspeed! The relevant point, I think is that there
are many factors involved in how well a machine performs, not just
clockspeed and not just intel/amd, ... the results can differ
significantly for different apps, etc.

[I think many people, understandably (I do!), wish there was some simple
metric one could use to determine how good their machine will be (e.g.,
"intel is better!"), but sadly, there really isn't in most cases...]

-Miles

--
Scriptures, n. The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from
the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.
From: Atheist Chaplain on
"Miles Bader" <miles(a)gnu.org> wrote in message
> "Atheist Chaplain" <abused(a)cia.gov> writes:
>> Its horses for courses, My old AMD machine was quite capable of running
>> most mundane tasks, its just that now days most of the software I use
>> for my hobbies (photography and some video editing) just seem to chug
>> when compared to the way the same stuff is processed by my sons Intel
>> based machine.
>> If web and a couple of office apps was all I used, then AMD would be
>> plenty fast enough :-)
>
> Er, if it's an "old AMD machine", then perhaps the relevant adjective is
> "old", not "AMD"...
>
> If you see my recent post on this thread, I have machines using both
> "recent" AMD (phenom I) and "recent" Intel processors (core2duo), and
> the AMD machine is actually quite a bit snappier, even though the Intel
> CPU has a higher clockspeed! The relevant point, I think is that there
> are many factors involved in how well a machine performs, not just
> clockspeed and not just intel/amd, ... the results can differ
> significantly for different apps, etc.
>
> [I think many people, understandably (I do!), wish there was some simple
> metric one could use to determine how good their machine will be (e.g.,
> "intel is better!"), but sadly, there really isn't in most cases...]
>
> -Miles
>
> --
> Scriptures, n. The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished
> from
> the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.

Old is relative :-)
AM2 socket anyone :-)
the truth here is that your mileage may vary between the big two and while I
am currently stuck (inherited)with a core2duo (having very recently retired
my AMD (Athlon 64 X2 6400+) and while I had more memory on that machine than
my sons (Intel Q6600) and better spec'd drives and vid, his machine was
still faster when it came to video editing and I'm pretty sure Premier Pro
1.5 isn't multi core aware (though willing to be corrected)
This is the first Intel based machine I have ever owned since I built my
first AMD 486/100 machine many years ago. I'm also at the age where its not
so much a worry if one cost a little more than the other.