From: RichA on

Larry Thong wrote:
> It's been pretty brutal trying to come up with the perfect color scheme for
> the new i7. Since the Supermicro CSE-743 only comes in beige or black it is
> almost mandatory that one change the color to liven it up a bit for a
> workstation box. Well, we narrowed it down to three top choices, and boy
> was it tough! We were leaning towards a John Deere green/yellow scheme as
> our first choice with Kubota orange running a tight second. As a third and
> final color choice, a simple black/navy blue got rave reviews.
>
> Of course one has to consider the surrounding d�cor. So, we decided to keep
> the i7 beast tame and docile on the outside. This meant the simple
> black/navy blue scheme was it. Since I was never the type to bend to
> traditionalism and conformity

Your using an Intel box, aren't you?
From: Neil Harrington on

"Larry Thong" <larry_thong(a)shitstring.com> wrote in message
> RichA wrote:
>
>>> Of course one has to consider the surrounding d?cor. So, we decided
>>> to keep the i7 beast tame and docile on the outside. This meant the
>>> simple black/navy blue scheme was it. Since I was never the type to
>>> bend to traditionalism and conformity
>>
>> Your using an Intel box, aren't you?
>
> Of course, like there really is anything else out there on the market.

<snort>

The only Intel CPU I use nowadays is the Atom in my ducky little Samsung
netbook. I think I still have an ancient Celeron 900 system somewhere on the
premises but haven't used it in ages.

Other than the netbook, it's AMD all the way for me. I'm not knocking Intel,
I just think AMD provides the best bang for the buck.

From: Atheist Chaplain on
"Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message

> "Larry Thong" <larry_thong(a)shitstring.com> wrote in message

>>> Your using an Intel box, aren't you?
>>
>> Of course, like there really is anything else out there on the market.
>
> <snort>
>
> The only Intel CPU I use nowadays is the Atom in my ducky little Samsung
> netbook. I think I still have an ancient Celeron 900 system somewhere on
> the premises but haven't used it in ages.
>
> Other than the netbook, it's AMD all the way for me. I'm not knocking
> Intel, I just think AMD provides the best bang for the buck.

but if your a power user there really is no choice but Intel, bang for buck
doesn't even come into the equation (And I'm a long time AMD user)
my next box will be an i7 as the best AMD cannot match it cycle for cycle
and I'm sick of wasting time waiting for my "bang for buck" system to do
what my son's Intel system does standing on its head.

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

From: Miles Bader on
"Atheist Chaplain" <abused(a)cia.gov> writes:
> but if your a power user there really is no choice but Intel, bang for
> buck doesn't even come into the equation (And I'm a long time AMD user)
> my next box will be an i7 as the best AMD cannot match it cycle for
> cycle and I'm sick of wasting time waiting for my "bang for buck" system
> to do what my son's Intel system does standing on its head.

The differences seem quite overhyped for the most part.

I've got an Intel core2 machine at work, and a phenom I machine at home,
and a single core of the core2 is maybe 5-10% faster clock-for-clock
than the phenom I, for pure cpu-crunching (much of that may be due to
the cache size; this core2 has an _enormous_ L2 cache). The core2
_also_ has a faster clock, so overall it's pretty fast cpu (the phenom I
has double the number of cores though, so which is better depends on the
situation).

However -- for typical usage (running web browsers, editors, etc), the
phenom _system_ feels far speedier and more responsive. I think this is
mainly because it seems far faster at I/O (I'm not entirely sure why;
the hard disks are from the same manufacturer, and of the same
generation, but the difference is quite amazing). The core2 system,
despite the speedy little cpu, often feels like a bit of a dog, really.

Small differences in cpu speed/efficiency matters to some people, but in
most cases, it's just one factor among many to consider when buying a
system.

-Miles

--
Generous, adj. Originally this word meant noble by birth and was rightly
applied to a great multitude of persons. It now means noble by nature and is
From: Neil Harrington on

"Atheist Chaplain" <abused(a)cia.gov> wrote in message
> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Larry Thong" <larry_thong(a)shitstring.com> wrote in message

>>> Of course, like there really is anything else out there on the market.
>>
>> <snort>
>>
>> The only Intel CPU I use nowadays is the Atom in my ducky little Samsung
>> netbook. I think I still have an ancient Celeron 900 system somewhere on
>> the premises but haven't used it in ages.
>>
>> Other than the netbook, it's AMD all the way for me. I'm not knocking
>> Intel, I just think AMD provides the best bang for the buck.
>>

> but if your a power user there really is no choice but Intel, bang for
> buck doesn't even come into the equation (And I'm a long time AMD user)
> my next box will be an i7 as the best AMD cannot match it cycle for cycle
> and I'm sick of wasting time waiting for my "bang for buck" system to do
> what my son's Intel system does standing on its head.

You may well be right -- I guess I'm not a power user. I build systems just
as a hobby, haven't built one on anything but AMD since that old Celeron 900
mentioned earlier, and I'm completely happy with 'em. I haven't had any
slowness or delays on anything that weren't caused by the Internet or
servers on the other end. I haven't even felt a need to go to Phenoms --
Athlon X2s easily handle the most demanding things I ever do on computers.