From: Tony on
I have a machine with 2 x 250G drives, using FakeRaid on which Windows XP
is installed (that's how it arrived, not by design). I was going to use
Wubi to install Ubuntu so I didn't have to mess around shrinking the NTFS
partition but Wubi doesn't (currently) work with FakeRaid setups.

I could go back to my original plan, shrink the NTFS partition and install
Ubuntu (I've checked and the Ubuntu installer sees the NTFS partition,
although a little reading around suggests 9.10 still isn't entirely happy
with FakeRaid setups).

Anyway, I've been annoyed by the RAID0 config since the machine arrived,
but I've ignored it generally. Now though, since I really want to dual
boot, I figure it's time to just start again. I could just trash the XP
install, but there's a fair bit of stuff I want to keep on there (and not
just easy-to-separate data) and why I'm going dual boot rather than just
replacing XP entirely.

So, the other option is,

a. get a new SATA drive (and keep it out of the raid setup)
b. clone the XP image to the drive
c. turn off the fake raid
d. profit

And I've got a new drive in the post, but I'd eventually like to use that
drive as a shared data disk, and use the 2 x 250G drives for the OSen. So
what I want to do is,

a. get a new SATA drive (and keep it out of the raid setup)
b. clone the XP image to the drive (temporary)
c. turn off the fake raid
d. install Linux on 1 x 250G disk
e. restore the XP image to the other 250G disk
f. profit

So, a longwinded introduction to my question. I've done a little reading
around, and I know there are some options for migrating Windows XP
partitions using Linux tools, but there's also a lot of comments about how
XP doesn't like being moved.

Has anyone got any concrete specific experience of doing this kind of thing
with a particular set of Linux tools that they could share?
--
Tony Evans
Saving trees and wasting electrons since 1993
From: Patrick Schueller on
Am 18.03.2010 22:10, schrieb Tony:
> a. get a new SATA drive (and keep it out of the raid setup)
> b. clone the XP image to the drive
> c. turn off the fake raid
> d. profit
>
> And I've got a new drive in the post, but I'd eventually like to use that
> drive as a shared data disk, and use the 2 x 250G drives for the OSen. So
> what I want to do is,
>
> a. get a new SATA drive (and keep it out of the raid setup)
> b. clone the XP image to the drive (temporary)
> c. turn off the fake raid
> d. install Linux on 1 x 250G disk
> e. restore the XP image to the other 250G disk
> f. profit

Maybe I don't get it, but wouldn't it be easier to
a. get a new SATA drive (and keep it out of the raid setup)
b. install Linux on it in one partition, use the rest as data storage
c. keep the fake raid with XP
d. dual boot between the raid and the new drive?

Patrick
--
OS: Ubuntu lucid (dev) � Kernel: 2.6.32-16-generic � KDE: 4.4.1 (KDE 4.4.1)
CPU: AMD Turion(tm) Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82 � RAM: 1367392kB/3799764kB
From: Tony on
Patrick Schueller wrote:

> Am 18.03.2010 22:10, schrieb Tony:
>> a. get a new SATA drive (and keep it out of the raid setup)
>> b. clone the XP image to the drive
>> c. turn off the fake raid
>> d. profit
>>
>> And I've got a new drive in the post, but I'd eventually like to use that
>> drive as a shared data disk, and use the 2 x 250G drives for the OSen. So
>> what I want to do is,
>>
>> a. get a new SATA drive (and keep it out of the raid setup)
>> b. clone the XP image to the drive (temporary)
>> c. turn off the fake raid
>> d. install Linux on 1 x 250G disk
>> e. restore the XP image to the other 250G disk
>> f. profit
>
> Maybe I don't get it, but wouldn't it be easier to
> a. get a new SATA drive (and keep it out of the raid setup)
> b. install Linux on it in one partition, use the rest as data storage
> c. keep the fake raid with XP
> d. dual boot between the raid and the new drive?

Yes it would.

But, the RAID0 FakeRaid config annoys me, and now seems a good time to
tidy it up.

Plus, it'll be fun.

There's stuff like Clonezilla, partimage, ntfsclone, and obviously dd,
but I just hoped someone had some experience of making XP bootable again
once it's been re-written to the disk (which as I understand it, is one
of the issues doing this).

--
Tony Evans

From: alexd on
On 18/03/10 22:50, Tony wrote:

> Plus, it'll be fun.

Well if it's fun you're after, how about doing a physical-to-virtual
conversion? Copy the VM image once you've created it to another machine
or USB drive, install *buntu, copy the image back and run it in Virtualbox.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
16:50:25 up 43 days, 16:53, 3 users, load average: 0.59, 0.22, 0.13
From: Tony on
alexd wrote:

> On 18/03/10 22:50, Tony wrote:
>
>> Plus, it'll be fun.
>
> Well if it's fun you're after, how about doing a physical-to-virtual
> conversion? Copy the VM image once you've created it to another machine
> or USB drive, install *buntu, copy the image back and run it in Virtualbox.

I considered that - but one of the main reasons I want to retain XP is
Lord of the Rings Online. I could run it under WINE, I could run it in
a VM, but since I've got a legitimate XP license I may as well run it in
XP (and get the best performance).

I may still convert the XP image into a VM image so I can run it under
VirtualBox for stuff other than LoTRO though (which oddly, would be
exactly the opposite of what I do now which is run Ubuntu inside
VirtualBox on Windows XP :))

--
Tony Evans