From: Geoff Clements on
Ivor Jones wrote:

> Currently running Fedora 12, run level 3 booting to command prompt.
>
> I have a test account I use which I want to boot to the command prompt
> but start Gnome on my "normal" account.
>
> Is there a way to start the GUI automatically on one account but not on
> another..?

Two ways come to mind:

1. When you are at the X logon screen (possibly gdm) then just do a
ctrl+alt+F[1-6] and log in to the test account. ctrl+alt+F7 will get you
back to X.

2. Set up your system to start up to a non graphical login. In your normal
account put a startx command in a startup script such as ~/.bashrc.

--
Geoff
From: spike1 on
And verily, didst Ivor Jones <ivor(a)thisaddressis.invalid> hastily babble thusly:

> Currently running Fedora 12, run level 3 booting to command prompt.
>
> I have a test account I use which I want to boot to the command prompt
> but start Gnome on my "normal" account.
>
> Is there a way to start the GUI automatically on one account but not on
> another..?

Put startx into the .login file?
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| in |good to you so far... |
From: spike1 on
And verily, didst Geoff Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> hastily babble thusly:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>

>> Currently running Fedora 12, run level 3 booting to command prompt.
>>
>> I have a test account I use which I want to boot to the command prompt
>> but start Gnome on my "normal" account.
>>
>> Is there a way to start the GUI automatically on one account but not on
>> another..?
>>

> Two ways come to mind:
>
> 1. When you are at the X logon screen (possibly gdm) then just do a
> ctrl+alt+F[1-6] and log in to the test account. ctrl+alt+F7 will get you
> back to X.
>
> 2. Set up your system to start up to a non graphical login. In your normal
> account put a startx command in a startup script such as ~/.bashrc.

I'd say .login rather than .bashrc. Put it into .bashrc and it'd attempt to
startx every time an xterm was opened too.
--
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |
From: unruh on
On 2010-03-18, spike1(a)freenet.co.uk <spike1(a)freenet.co.uk> wrote:
> And verily, didst Geoff Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> hastily babble thusly:
>> Ivor Jones wrote:
>>

>>> Currently running Fedora 12, run level 3 booting to command prompt.
>>>
>>> I have a test account I use which I want to boot to the command prompt
>>> but start Gnome on my "normal" account.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to start the GUI automatically on one account but not on
>>> another..?
>>>

>> Two ways come to mind:
>>
>> 1. When you are at the X logon screen (possibly gdm) then just do a
>> ctrl+alt+F[1-6] and log in to the test account. ctrl+alt+F7 will get you
>> back to X.
>>
>> 2. Set up your system to start up to a non graphical login. In your normal
>> account put a startx command in a startup script such as ~/.bashrc.
>
> I'd say .login rather than .bashrc. Put it into .bashrc and it'd attempt to
> startx every time an xterm was opened too.

..bash_profile unless you run csh

From: Folderol on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 01:22:36 +0000
spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:

> And verily, didst Geoff Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> hastily babble thusly:
> > Ivor Jones wrote:
> >

> >> Currently running Fedora 12, run level 3 booting to command prompt.
> >>
> >> I have a test account I use which I want to boot to the command prompt
> >> but start Gnome on my "normal" account.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to start the GUI automatically on one account but not on
> >> another..?
> >>

> > Two ways come to mind:
> >
> > 1. When you are at the X logon screen (possibly gdm) then just do a
> > ctrl+alt+F[1-6] and log in to the test account. ctrl+alt+F7 will get you
> > back to X.
> >
> > 2. Set up your system to start up to a non graphical login. In your normal
> > account put a startx command in a startup script such as ~/.bashrc.
>
> I'd say .login rather than .bashrc. Put it into .bashrc and it'd attempt to
> startx every time an xterm was opened too.

..profile works for me too.

--
Will J G