From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
There's an old issue with both sendmail and Postfix, and possibly
other MTA's, where it's rather awkward to configure them to send all
email to the upstream "smarthost", including email to unqualified
local addresses. For example, on my RHEL 4 test environment, I want
email sent to "nkadel" to be automatically passed along to my upstream
MTA, smtp.example.com.

There are many, many possible options and tweaks, but I'd like to use
the cleanest solution, and not have to add all the local users to my /
etc/aliases file (as I've done in the past for sendmail). Does anyone
have a fully working configuration for this?
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> There's an old issue with both sendmail and Postfix, and possibly
> other MTA's, where it's rather awkward to configure them to send all
> email to the upstream "smarthost", including email to unqualified
> local addresses. For example, on my RHEL 4 test environment, I want
> email sent to "nkadel" to be automatically passed along to my upstream
> MTA, smtp.example.com.
>
> There are many, many possible options and tweaks, but I'd like to use
> the cleanest solution, and not have to add all the local users to my /
> etc/aliases file (as I've done in the past for sendmail). Does anyone
> have a fully working configuration for this?

Exim can be simply set to do this.
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Feb 16, 3:52 pm, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > There's an old issue with both sendmail and Postfix, and possibly
> > other MTA's, where it's rather awkward to configure them to send all
> > email to the upstream "smarthost", including email to unqualified
> > local addresses. For example, on my RHEL 4 test environment, I want
> > email sent to "nkadel" to be automatically passed along to my upstream
> > MTA, smtp.example.com.
>
> > There are many, many possible options and tweaks, but I'd like to use
> > the cleanest solution, and not have to add all the local users to my /
> > etc/aliases file (as I've done in the past for sendmail). Does anyone
> > have a fully working configuration for this?
>
> Exim can be simply set to do this.

That's what a whole lot of people have said about sendmail and
Postfix, without ever actually trying it or testing with unqualified
local usernames, or by only trying it with email clients that auto-set
the target domain. So please forgive my skepticism: if you have an
example of such a configuration file, I'd appreciate seeing it.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Feb 16, 3:52 pm, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>> There's an old issue with both sendmail and Postfix, and possibly
>>> other MTA's, where it's rather awkward to configure them to send all
>>> email to the upstream "smarthost", including email to unqualified
>>> local addresses. For example, on my RHEL 4 test environment, I want
>>> email sent to "nkadel" to be automatically passed along to my upstream
>>> MTA, smtp.example.com.
>>> There are many, many possible options and tweaks, but I'd like to use
>>> the cleanest solution, and not have to add all the local users to my /
>>> etc/aliases file (as I've done in the past for sendmail). Does anyone
>>> have a fully working configuration for this?
>> Exim can be simply set to do this.
>
> That's what a whole lot of people have said about sendmail and
> Postfix, without ever actually trying it or testing with unqualified
> local usernames, or by only trying it with email clients that auto-set
> the target domain. So please forgive my skepticism: if you have an
> example of such a configuration file, I'd appreciate seeing it.

I never saw the file at all. I just went through exim configuration
script, and the bloody thing worked.

Sendmail I know well, and its totally over the top for this.

Postfix I used to use, but it wouldn't do this simple thing.

Exim 'just worked'.

The only issues were that since it never in fact hit the local delivery
service, /etc/aliases didn't seem to work.. anything to 'root' 'uucp'
'www-data' or and other system users went to 'uucp(a)mydomian.com' etc and
I had to put some filters at the ISP to accept and redirect it
appropriately.

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Feb 17, 7:51 am, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > On Feb 16, 3:52 pm, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
> > wrote:
> >> Exim can be simply set to do this.
>
> > That's what a whole lot of people have said about sendmail and
> > Postfix, without ever actually trying it or testing with unqualified
> > local usernames, or by only trying it with email clients that auto-set
> > the target domain. So please forgive my skepticism: if you have an
> > example of such a configuration file, I'd appreciate seeing it.
>
> I never saw the file at all. I just went through exim configuration
> script, and the bloody thing worked.

You're referring to the "dpkg-reconfigure" script, or whatever it's
called? That's not in the RHEL RPM's.

I just had a gentle talk with the configure files in /etc/exim/ on
RHEL 5. It works, but it's not well documented. I had to go hunting in
the on-line manuals for details on setting up a smarthost, which
involves replacing a stanza about DNS handling.

> Sendmail I know well, and its totally over the top for this.
>
> Postfix I used to use, but it wouldn't do this simple thing.
>
> Exim 'just worked'.
>
> The only issues were that since it never in fact hit the local delivery
> service, /etc/aliases didn't seem to work.. anything to 'root' 'uucp'
> 'www-data' or and other system users went to 'u...(a)mydomian.com' etc and
> I had to put some filters at the ISP to accept and redirect it
> appropriately.

Right. Exim Doesn't Do That(tm). There's a table in /etc/exim/ where
you need to put such aliases instead.