From: JeanPaulo on
Twayne was the most helpfull for my problem, but no one could tell me
WHAT is that damned LightningSand.cfd file that kept to get corrupted
after reboot.

It was in the NORTON 360 directory, but only present after the error.

Norton (Symantec) was no help at all, so after changing my disk and
rebulding Win from scratch,Ii finally obeyed the general advice :

'Get rid of Norton'

Well, I did on Feb 2, and instead used Avira Antivir.

Since then, NOT ANY PROBLEMS !!!

More, now the system stops in less than 1 minute (instead of 3), with
no error messages, and Avira found more than 30 'dormant' virus or
trojans (but not any active).

Jean-Paulo
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
One hopes you ran the Norton Removal Tool before you installed Avira
AntiVir, yes?

From: Twayne on
In news:eUFJB6LsKHA.4360(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> typed:
> One hopes you ran the Norton Removal Tool before you installed Avira
> AntiVir, yes?
>
> JeanPaulo wrote:
>> Twayne was the most helpfull for my problem, but no one could tell me
>> WHAT is that damned LightningSand.cfd file that kept to get corrupted
>> after reboot.
>>
>> It was in the NORTON 360 directory, but only present after the error.
>>
>> Norton (Symantec) was no help at all, so after changing my disk and
>> rebulding Win from scratch,Ii finally obeyed the general advice :
>>
>> 'Get rid of Norton'
>>
>> Well, I did on Feb 2, and instead used Avira Antivir.
>>
>> Since then, NOT ANY PROBLEMS !!!
>>
>> More, now the system stops in less than 1 minute (instead of 3), with
>> no error messages, and Avira found more than 30 'dormant' virus or
>> trojans (but not any active).
>>
>> Jean-Paulo

Avira seems to be a decent tool, but use caution: it sometimes mis-ID's
"rogue" files and offers them up for deleteion. In my case it was a
setup.exe file.

And realize that the Norton removal tool removes ALL NOrton programs on the
computer, not just one of them. So if you use Ghost, etc, you'll have to
reinstall it/them.

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net>

| In news:eUFJB6LsKHA.4360(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
| PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> typed:
>> One hopes you ran the Norton Removal Tool before you installed Avira
>> AntiVir, yes?

>> JeanPaulo wrote:
>>> Twayne was the most helpfull for my problem, but no one could tell me
>>> WHAT is that damned LightningSand.cfd file that kept to get corrupted
>>> after reboot.

>>> It was in the NORTON 360 directory, but only present after the error.

>>> Norton (Symantec) was no help at all, so after changing my disk and
>>> rebulding Win from scratch,Ii finally obeyed the general advice :

>>> 'Get rid of Norton'

>>> Well, I did on Feb 2, and instead used Avira Antivir.

>>> Since then, NOT ANY PROBLEMS !!!

>>> More, now the system stops in less than 1 minute (instead of 3), with
>>> no error messages, and Avira found more than 30 'dormant' virus or
>>> trojans (but not any active).

>>> Jean-Paulo

| Avira seems to be a decent tool, but use caution: it sometimes mis-ID's
| "rogue" files and offers them up for deleteion. In my case it was a
| setup.exe file.

< snip >

That's what a quarantine is for.

If the file is falsely accused of being malicious, it can be restored from quarantine.

--
Dave

From: JeanPaulo on
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:18:41 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>One hopes you ran the Norton Removal Tool before you installed Avira
>AntiVir, yes?

That was the only positive thing that Norton support told me !