From: Dances With Crows on
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:59:02 +0000 (UTC), Jim Backus staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
> John-Paul Stewart wrote:
>> Jim Backus wrote:
>> > However I don't have a working X system,
>> There's no need to modify /etc/apt/sources.list; the X packages
>> should be in the same repositories as everything else. You just need
>> to 'apt-get install xorg'.
> deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

John-Paul, Jim is apparently using Debian Stable. That version is still
using *XFree86*, if you can believe that. So Jim would need to "apt-get
install x-window-system" not xorg. Jim, Stable's versions of many
software packages are old enough to gag a buzzard. XFree86 4.3 doesn't
support a number of newer video cards, so if you have one of those, you
may need to upgrade to testing.

> I still haven't got a working X windows system. X crashes apparently
> reporting that the mouse is not set up. Even after reading up on the
> mouse set up for X on the web I've been unable to get X running.

Put your X config file (probably /etc/X11/XF86Config) on your webspace,
follow up with a URL so that people can look at it. The vast majority
of PS/2 mice out there are really easy to support, you just have a
stanza like so in your X config file:

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
Identifier "Mouse[1]"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" # PS/2 mouse port
Option "Protocol" "imps/2" # protocol used, that's v. common
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # so the wheel will work
EndSection

> Another issue is that when X starts I get a corrupted screen so the
> monitor setup is probably wrong too.

Not enough info to tell what's wrong here. The X config file along with
the output of "lspci | grep VGA" will tell us.

> As X was starting automatically, I've uninstalled it

? You enable and disable stuff by using update-rc.d . "update-rc.d xdm
remove" to prevent xdm from starting.

> I'd also like to know where the script is that starts X automatically,

Init scripts are in /etc/init.d/ . The SysV runlevel scheme used
everywhere except Slack and Gentoo puts symlinks to these init scripts
in /etc/rcN.d/ , where N is the runlevel number. Debian uses runlevel 2
by default. Most distros use 3 for "start everything but X" and 5 for
"start everything".

> I've used vi and still think it is a horrible editor

HERETIC!!1! MAKE HIM USE /bin/ed FOR EVERYTHING!!1! (-:

--
The night passed like a kidney stone: painfully and with the help of
major sedatives. --T. Delgado, Lyttle Lytton winner, 2001
From: Bob Hauck on
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:59:02 +0000 (UTC), Jim Backus <jhb(a)nospam.co.uk>
wrote:

> #deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sarge main
>
> deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

Xorg isn't in Sarge, it came out right around the time of the transition
so it still uses XFree86. For a generic answer that should work on all
recent Debian releases, try:

apt-get install x-window-system

> I found aptitude and selected the X packages there including icewm.
> All downloaded fine and then went into X setup. However I still
> haven't got a working X windows system. X crashes apparently reporting
> that the mouse is not setup.

Assuming it is a ps2 mouse, ake sure the "psmouse" driver is installed
(on 2.6 kernels). You might need to add it to /etc/modules. Then set
the mouse to be on /dev/psaux in your X configuration.

For a USB mouse, use /dev/input/mice and make sure evdev is loaded.

The X config file for Sarge will be /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

> Another issue is that when X starts I get a corrupted screen so the
> monitor setup is probably wrong too.

What video card? Do you have any specs on your monitor? OTOH, fix the
mouse problem first, since maybe it would fix the screen if the startup
got farther.

> Any further advice much appreciated. Specifically on getting 'apt-get'
> to work.

It is working, but you've received some bad advice regarding package
names. The advice you got applies to Sid or Etch but not Sarge.

Just so you know, Sarge is the current stable version, Etch aka testing
is the next release (due out the end of the year we hope), Sid aka
unstable is the development track.

> I'd also like to know where the script is that starts X automatically,
> then I'd be able to disable it until I've been able to set it up
> correctly - it seems stupid to uninstall just to prevent it running.

The script is in /etc/init.d. It will be named kdm, xdm, or gdm
depending on which login manager you're using. But to disable it, you
just need to change a symlink in /etc/rc2.d:

cd /etc/rc2.d
mv S99kdm disable.S99kdm # this may be xdm or gdm

The scripts in the rc directories are skipped if they don't start with
Snn or Knn. To re-enable, just rename it back.

--
-| Bob Hauck
-| Have you had enough of George Bush yet?
From: John-Paul Stewart on
Dances With Crows wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:59:02 +0000 (UTC), Jim Backus staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:
>> John-Paul Stewart wrote:
>>> There's no need to modify /etc/apt/sources.list; the X packages
>>> should be in the same repositories as everything else. You just need
>>> to 'apt-get install xorg'.
>> deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main
>> deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main
>> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
>
> John-Paul, Jim is apparently using Debian Stable. That version is still
> using *XFree86*, if you can believe that.

Yup. My mistake. I run Debian/testing and have a nasty tendency to
forget that other people run other Debian versions.

Sorry about the mis-information.
From: s. keeling on
s. keeling <keeling(a)spots.ab.ca>:

> Welcome, :-) and in case you didn't know it, this list is archived

Wups, sorry, thought I was in linux.debian.user, ptheh.

> and is searchable. In google, add "site:lists.debian.org" as one of

Better yet, use groups.google.com.

(*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling Linux Counter #80292
Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html
From: s. keeling on
John-Paul Stewart <jpstewart(a)binaryfoundry.ca>:

> Yup. My mistake. I run Debian/testing and have a nasty tendency to
> forget that other people run other Debian versions.

Funniest thing I've seen on this list in months.

(*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling Linux Counter #80292
Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4