From: John-Paul Stewart on
Dances With Crows wrote:

> X has been started, but no WM/DE has started. This is typically *not*
> what you want. What *are* you doing here? This is not the way that any
> distro sets things up (well, maybe LFS would do that...)

Debian does things that way, too. You have to explicitly pick which
WM/DE(s) to install and which one to start.
From: Jim Backus on
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 23:06:17 UTC, Dances With Crows
<danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > old pentium 2 IBM 300GL with 64 MB Ram.
>
> ...seriously retro. You'll need to use a lightweight WM, like xfce or
> fluxbox or something, forget running OOO, and you'll probably have to
> use links or dillo instead of Firefox.

True, but as I've been using OS/2 for years and get respectable
performance from 300 MHz & 400 MHz PCs and 128 / 64 MB Ram, I wasn't
about to splash out on a new high spec PC for an OS I might not get on
with. My print server is a 386DX40 with 16 MB Ram running Warp 3
Connect - does the job!

I was horrified to see the spec of the video card - I'll have to try
and buy a better one off ebay - it's probably the only place I'll get
a PCI video card.

Thanks again for the advice.

--
Jim Backus running OS/2 Warp 3 & 4, Debian Linux and Win98SE
demon <dot> co <dot> uk

From: John-Paul Stewart on
Jim Backus wrote:

> I was horrified to see the spec of the video card - I'll have to try
> and buy a better one off ebay - it's probably the only place I'll get
> a PCI video card.

You can still get PCI video cards new. (And, yes, I really do mean
plain PCI, not PCI Express.) The ATI Radeon 9250, for example, comes in
a plain PCI variant, sells for around $50 USD, and is well supported by
open source Linux drivers.
From: s. keeling on
John-Paul Stewart <jpstewart(a)binaryfoundry.ca>:
> Jim Backus wrote:
> >
> > I was horrified to see the spec of the video card - I'll have to try
> > and buy a better one off ebay - it's probably the only place I'll get
> > a PCI video card.
>
> You can still get PCI video cards new. (And, yes, I really do mean
> plain PCI, not PCI Express.) The ATI Radeon 9250, for example, comes in
> a plain PCI variant, sells for around $50 USD, and is well supported by
> open source Linux drivers.

There are quirks, however. The Matrox Millenium II I switched to last
night is better supported by the vesa driver than by the mga driver.
Works great though. Perhaps they were moving on to the new interface
standard when MII came out.

(*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling Linux Counter #80292
Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html
First  |  Prev  |