From: Frank Steinmetzger on
Dear group

On ye olde Gentoo I was a happy user of uvesafb at my laptop’s native
resolution of 1400x1050. A while ago I installed Squeeze, and naturally, I
would like it to also have a tiny console font. (The “Tiny Console Font”
thread is what got me into investigating this issue again). :o)

I’m attaching some relevant information. According to dmesg, uvesafb is
mind really which one runs, as long as I can use my resolution. Setting the
VESA mode via the kernel’s vga= parameter also wasn’t satisfactory. At my
preferred mode 0x347 or 0x348, I got a 320x240 screen. The biggest mode I
got running was with 1280 horizontal resolution.

When I originally tried to find out how to set up uvesafb, I remember always
having read that I had to compile my own kernel. Could that be the cause? I’m
running a normal stock 2.6.32-5-686. My graphics card is a Geforce Go 7600.

I’d apreciate any helpful advice.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
begin signature_virus
From: Tom H on
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7(a)gmx.de> wrote:

> On ye olde Gentoo I was a happy user of uvesafb at my laptop’s native
> resolution of 1400x1050. A while ago I installed Squeeze, and naturally, I
> would like it to also have a tiny console font. (The “Tiny Console Font”
> thread is what got me into investigating this issue again). :o)
>
> I’m attaching some relevant information. According to dmesg, uvesafb is
> mind really which one runs, as long as I can use my resolution. Setting the
> VESA mode via the kernel’s vga= parameter also wasn’t satisfactory. At my
> preferred mode 0x347 or 0x348, I got a 320x240 screen. The biggest mode I
> got running was with 1280 horizontal resolution.
>
> When I originally tried to find out how to set up uvesafb, I remember always
> having read that I had to compile my own kernel. Could that be the cause? I’m
> running a normal stock 2.6.32-5-686. My graphics card is a Geforce Go 7600.

If you are using grub2, try changing the values of
GRUB_GFXMODE
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX
in
/etc/default/grub
to your required resolution and run
update-grub

You might also need to set
GRUB_TERMINAL=gfxterm
rather than
GRUB_TERMINAL=console
but I'm not sure about this.

Am Montag, 9. August 2010 schrieb Tom H:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> > On ye olde Gentoo I was a happy user of uvesafb at my laptop’s native
> > resolution of 1400x1050. A while ago I installed Squeeze, and naturally,
> > I would like it to also have a tiny console font. (The “Tiny Console
> > Font” thread is what got me into investigating this issue again). :o)
> >
> > I’m attaching some relevant information. According to dmesg, uvesafb is
> > don’t mind really which one runs, as long as I can use my resolution.
> > Setting the VESA mode via the kernel’s vga= parameter also wasn’t
> > satisfactory. At my preferred mode 0x347 or 0x348, I got a 320x240
> > screen. The biggest mode I got running was with 1280 horizontal
> > resolution.

> If you are using grub2, try changing the values of
> GRUB_GFXMODE
> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX
> in
> /etc/default/grub
> to your required resolution and run
> update-grub

Phew, I’ve been sitting at this for three hours now. And I finally have
reached my goal. \o/

In essence:

I’ve used Grub’s GFXMODE before, but it was too slow for my taste (2 seconds
of black screen before the boot menu even appeared), so I went back to
640x480. For a test, I set it up again with

GRUB_GFXMODE=1400x1050
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=gfxterm

I now saw the boot messages at 1400x1050 right away. However, the colours were
all wrong, everything was brighter and the hue was set off. I.e. white now was
light green, red became purple and so on. fbset now said that the framebuffer
was EFI VGA instead of VESA VGA.

Then I found another line in dmesg, which I had overlooked before because the
grep was too strict:

uvesafb: scrolling: ypan using protected mode interface, yres_virtual=8192
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
uvesafb: framebuffer at 0xc0000000, mapped to 0xf8000000, using 10240k, ...

Note the “Console:” line which I was missing earlier. I researched that and
found out about kernel mode setting. I guessed that this would cause the
vesafb to load, thus blocking the framebuffer for uvesafb. So I added
nomodeset to the kernel parameters. Unfortunately, this had no effect, it
still switched text mode from 80x25 to 80x30.

I can set the console resolution after login with a manual call to fbset. But
not if I booted with a vga=x kernel parameter, fbset has no effect then.

Next, I found a howto on uvesafb in the ubuntu forum. This said to append the
uvesafb parameters also to the module entry in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules.
I guess that was the small bit I was missing for a correct setup of uvesafb,
because now it works, yay.

All I’m missing now are the two penguin logos in the top-left corner. :-)
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
Programmers don’t die, they GOSUB without RETURN.
From: Phil Requirements on
On 2010-08-09 04:43:59 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Am Montag, 9. August 2010 schrieb Tom H:
> > On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> > > On ye olde Gentoo I was a happy user of uvesafb at my laptop's native
> > > resolution of 1400x1050. A while ago I installed Squeeze, and naturally,
> > > I would like it to also have a tiny console font. (The “Tiny Console
> > > Font” thread is what got me into investigating this issue again). :o)
> > >
> > If you are using grub2, try changing the values of
> > GRUB_GFXMODE
> > GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX
> > in
> > /etc/default/grub
> > to your required resolution and run
> > update-grub
>
> I now saw the boot messages at 1400x1050 right away. However, the colours were
> all wrong, everything was brighter and the hue was set off. I.e. white now was
> light green, red became purple and so on. fbset now said that the framebuffer
> was EFI VGA instead of VESA VGA.

I did a lot of experimenting with different framebuffer settings
recently, and with some of the experiments I saw the same green color
as you are describing. In the end I determined that the pale green
color was due to the color depth portion of the framebuffer mode.

For example, the following setting will produce that pale green color:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x16

But if you change the color depth to 24 or 32, everything turns out better:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x24

I noticed in your description of the solution, that you did not
specify a color depth one way or another. It might be something to
consider.

Just in case it's helpful,

Phil

Am Montag, 9. August 2010 schrieb Phil Requirements:

> > I now saw the boot messages at 1400x1050 right away. However, the colours
> > were all wrong, everything was brighter and the hue was set off. I.e.
> > white now was light green, red became purple and so on. fbset now said
> > that the framebuffer was EFI VGA instead of VESA VGA.
>
> I did a lot of experimenting with different framebuffer settings
> recently, and with some of the experiments I saw the same green color
> as you are describing. In the end I determined that the pale green
> color was due to the color depth portion of the framebuffer mode.
>
> For example, the following setting will produce that pale green color:
>
> GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x16
>
> But if you change the color depth to 24 or 32, everything turns out better:
>
> GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x24
>
> I noticed in your description of the solution, that you did not
> specify a color depth one way or another. It might be something to
> consider.

Actually, I had it in there all the time. But the Ubuntu howto that I talked
about did not mention a colour depth, so I omitted it. Perhaps I’ll try the
the GRUB_GFX with a depth, but as I said, grub is starting quite slow if I set
it to this big resolution.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
What’s right is right, otherwise it’d be wrong.