From: peasthope on
Tom,

> # Change this line if you want dns to get its upstream servers from
> # somewhere other that /etc/resolv.conf
> #resolv-file=

But I don't want to change anything. I simply want
to know the nameserver addresses.

> ... dnsmasq is therefore using 127.0.0.1 as its upstream server, ...

>From the DESCRIPTION of dnsmasq.man,
"Dnsmasq accepts DNS queries and either answers them from a small,
local, cache or forwards them to a real, recursive, DNS server."

The machine itself has no _a priori_ knowledge of ip
addresses outside my network. It must refer to at
least one upstream DNS. The address of the ISP DNSs
are supplied through DHCP. I simply want to know
where these addresses are stored or, at least, how to
read them.

> Even that might not be enough. Take a look at /etc/default/dnsmasq.
> You have to set dnsmasq to ignore resolvconf in it.

Well I've made no such change and dnsmasq works nicely.
By default it must simply use the DNSs provided by
the ISP. In principle, dnsmasq could be keeping the
addresses in an environment variable, elsewhere in
memory, in a file in /tmp or in some other file.
I had hoped to find an option such as "dnsmasq show"
or the like but none is evident.

dnsmasq.man cites resolver(5) but that also is no
immediate help.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Sparcstation 2, sun4c, netboots *.SUN4C; SCSI disks not yet detected.
Personal site works; http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/ .

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 8:10 PM, <peasthope(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

>> # Change this line if you want dns to get its upstream servers from
>> # somewhere other that /etc/resolv.conf
>> #resolv-file=
>
> But I don't want to change anything.  I simply want
> to know the nameserver addresses.

I had misunderstood that your dns resolution wasn't working.

dnsmasq gets its upstream dns servers from /etc/resolv.conf unless you
have set it to get them from elsewhere in /etc/dnsmasq.conf.

>From /etc/dnsmasq.conf

# Change this line if you want dns to get its upstream servers from
# somewhere other that /etc/resolv.conf
#resolv-file=

A "dig +trace debian.org" should display your upstream dns servers.