From: Alex Button <Alex on
Is there a way to convert a .gho (ghost) file or a DVD ISO to a VHD file with
out copying the data to a dvd and then copying back in to hosted VHD file,
the virtual pc is running DOS

Thanks

From: Colin Barnhorst on
What are you trying to do? If this ghost file is a backup of a system then
what OS? Where did the gho file come from?

You can use a ghost file in a vm but whether you get a working vm as a
result depends on many things. Usually the vm would not run because the
hardware from the machine the gho file was made from was different from the
emulated hardware of the vm. If the file was made on a Windows pc then you
would need the operating system cd so that you could boot the vm with the cd
and run a repair install before the vm could run.

From: gs on
1.
for DVD bootable ISO file less than a certain size ( not sure what it is but
3 GB is too big):
in VPC, create a new vm and attach an vhd for appropriate size
start up the vm
before the vm actually boot, click on the capture DVD image to you iso
file.
the vm will boot with ISO
BTW: Virtual server does not have problem with large DVD ISO file size and
VS R2 is free

So the above will allow you to install from ISO DVD. To run from ISO DVD,
you may have to do more research on your own - I have no experience nor clue
at the moment

2. GHO
if you properly image a physical PC with ghost,
after starting VPC
start a new VM (with proper sized vhd file) with ghost floppy boot disk,
you should be able to restore the image to the Vm. All you would have to do
later is to re-activate the OS and possibly some software (Office)

If you have image the physical volumes to separate ghost files and the
volume are not in default standard drive letter arrangement, you may have
trouble booting the recovered OS in vm. This problem is more likely if you
have startup and services referencing partitions/volumes other than C:
hint: best to use Msconfig on physical PC to reduce services and startup
to a bare minimal before imaging
Post imaging action would then be re-assign the proper drives and
volumes, msconfig again to restore to normal

Sometimes you may still need the OS install disk to do repair! but the above
will reduce the need substantially

Good luck!

From: Colin Barnhorst on
2.2 GB

From: Alex Button on
Hello All

it is a win98 iamge that I need to run under Virtual PC if the ghost images
are put in a DVD ISO the ISO is 4.2gb and the Virtual PC will not "mount the
image " most likely is to big as suggested by gs

**update

I have copied the gho files on to a DVD and have created a dos VFD that has
a dos DVD driver and copied the ghost files in this way, has appeared to work
but took about 8 hours to copy over ( not sure way took so long) but seemed
to get slower as time went by

I will now try to ghost that to another VHD

thanks All

Pages: 1 2
Prev: Local Area Connection ??
Next: RIS failed