From: Aziz on
The real OS is WinXp SP2and the virtual is WinXP SP2 when i unplug the cable
from the pc, the real OS display directly the connection DISCONNECTED with
RED CROSS while in Virtual OS it displays CONNECTED....why ??

inspite of i ping both machines, it shows no replay...it's ok, but why still
show to me CONNECTED in the virtual OS

Note: i tried in the Microsoft Virtual PC settings Network adapter both
local only and the pysical NIC...but still show to me CONNECTED in the
Virtual OS

In my opinion, it may need some hot fixes for this bug we can say
From: Steve Jain on
On Wed, 10 May 2006 02:00:02 -0700, Aziz
<Aziz(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The real OS is WinXp SP2and the virtual is WinXP SP2 when i unplug the cable
>from the pc, the real OS display directly the connection DISCONNECTED with
>RED CROSS while in Virtual OS it displays CONNECTED....why ??
>
>inspite of i ping both machines, it shows no replay...it's ok, but why still
>show to me CONNECTED in the virtual OS
>
>Note: i tried in the Microsoft Virtual PC settings Network adapter both
>local only and the pysical NIC...but still show to me CONNECTED in the
>Virtual OS
>
>In my opinion, it may need some hot fixes for this bug we can say

When you disconnect a NIC, it is no longer active. If this is the NIC
that the VM uses, it will prevent the VM from working also. You need
to either use a Loopback adapter or keep the host NIC plugged in.

Technically, the virtual NIC is connected, but it's connected to an
inactive physical NIC.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: Ben Armstrong [MSFT] on
To be strictly accurate - the virtual nic is always connected to a
virtual switch - which is in turn bridged to your physical nic.

Disconnecting the physical nic means that the virtual machine is still
connected to the virtual switch - but cannot connect to the host as the
host OS disables the physical nic when it is disconnected.

What specific issue are you trying to address here? If you need network
connectivity between the host and virtual machine when the host has no
physical connection - you should install a MS Loopback adapter in the host.
--
Cheers,
Benjamin Armstrong

You assume all risk for your use.