From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Oops!

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[EDIT]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
[REBOOT INTO SAFE MODE
(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html) THEN...]

From: Jamie W on
Tried again this am, here are my steps and results.

Gateway Recovery Disk: (first the CD drive has to be manually opened for
some reason). "R" for recovery: Error:
File fastfat.sys caused unexpected error (32768) @ line 5025 in
\xpspl\base\boot\setup\setup.c

Win XP Pro SP 1A installation disk (came with computer). Windows Setup
Screen "R" for recovery console
Took me to c:\Windows\ screen

Can run dir, but looks like it only is giving me the files on the CD not the
actual hard drive. Been a long time since I've been at a screen prompt, so
wasn't sure what to try from here. That's where it's sitting right now at a
C prompt

Anytime I try to run "Safe Mode"; "Last known good config", etc it shows the
basic files being ran, and then it just reboots back to that screen "Windows
did not shut down properly......."

Thank you so much for attempting to help. Jamie

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5250 (20100704) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Daave on
Since you are able to run the Recovery Console, try the method outlined
here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

From: Jamie W on
Before I give this a shot, it states NOT to do this is you have a OEM
installed operating system. Win XP came installed on this computer, so does
that prevent me from trying this? Don't want to make it worse (if that's
even possible). Thanks.