From: Beverly Howard on
Ever accidentally stumble across a completely unexpected solution to a
problem you had been battling with for over a decade.

Between the currently battling giants, there appears to be a good,
usable and free PIM data sync solution already out there.

As a long time pocketpc fanatic, I feel that the import of this
discovery is large enough that I have started a page on it at my site

http://bevhoward.com/GoogleSync.htm

Please discuss it here and I will continue to update the above page with
information as I find as well as info posted here.

Beverly Howard
From: Todd Allcock on
I posted about this back in September in a post titled "Exchange for the
rest of us..." and expected it to generate a little interest considering the
number of sync problems reported here and in the Activesync group, but no
one replied.

In addition to free push email (although Windows Live also does than on WM6+
devices), and cloud sync with GMail contacts and Google Calendar, you can
also use the Google Calendar sync plug-in for Outlook and any third-party
GMail Contacts plug-in for a free Exchange-like OTA sync with your
Outlook-equipped PC as well.

From: Beverly Howard on
>> "Exchange for the rest of us..." <<

The exchange transport is only part of why I am excited about this.

Google contacts is (imho) a better and friendlier contact manager than
outlook.

And, where outlook was a "take it or leave it" app, with virtually zero
programming options or tech insight, google offers a number of
customization options plus powerful api's that open the doors to
integrating other pim apps into the stew.

For example, this will allow me to integrate a complex Foxpro PIM app of
mine that began almost a quarter century ago, and not only do so for my
device, but for Rebecca's iTouch as well.

Another oft asked question here is shared calendars and that, plus
multiple calendar options are now on the table and not dependent on
microsoft to implement.

The "exchange" does one important thing... it removes the need to build
a mobile data transport system in order to use all of this potential
pretty much right off the bat.

Even so, WinMobile is still going to be limited to the rigid data
structure on ms devices for the moment, but the api opens the doors to
exploiting unused fields and other pipes to overcome that rigidity.

Beverly Howard

From: Beverly Howard on
Looks like the ms scrubbers are being very aggressive again...

....a long response to Todd's post has apparently been blocked...
re-sent, but if that doesn't show up, will repost at the link contained
in the OP

Beverly Howard
From: Sven on
Serves you right for using the terms google and iTouch and failing to
capitalize Exchange ;)

Looks like the post showed up.