From: ~BD~ on
Google has admitted that for the past three years it has wrongly
collected information people have sent over unencrypted wi-fi networks.

The issue came to light after German authorities asked to audit the data
the company's Street View cars gathered as they took photos viewed on
Google maps.

Google said during a review it found it had "been mistakenly collecting
samples of payload data from open networks".

The admission will increase concerns about potential privacy breaches.

These snippets could include parts of an email, text or photograph or
even the website someone may be viewing.

In a blogpost Google said as soon as it became aware of the problem it
grounded its Street View cars from collecting wi-fi information and
segregated the data on its network.

More ........ http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8684110.stm

From: gumby on
On 15/05/2010 12:42 AM, ~BD~ wrote:
> Google has admitted that for the past three years it has wrongly
> collected information people have sent over unencrypted wi-fi networks.
>
> The issue came to light after German authorities asked to audit the data
> the company's Street View cars gathered as they took photos viewed on
> Google maps.
>
> Google said during a review it found it had "been mistakenly collecting
> samples of payload data from open networks".
>
> The admission will increase concerns about potential privacy breaches.
>
> These snippets could include parts of an email, text or photograph or
> even the website someone may be viewing.
>
> In a blogpost Google said as soon as it became aware of the problem it
> grounded its Street View cars from collecting wi-fi information and
> segregated the data on its network.
>
> More ........ http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8684110.stm

Maybe google really was funded by USA gov. SS as some people claim.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "gumby" <gumby(a)here.com>

| Maybe google really was funded by USA gov. SS as some people claim.

No !

--
Dave

From: Dustin Cook on
"~BD~" <BoaterDave(a)nospam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in news:hsljio$3va$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> Google has admitted that for the past three years it has wrongly
> collected information people have sent over unencrypted wi-fi networks.

I wonder how it accidently collected that information.. short of
accessing the networks and browsing around... or packet sniffing?

> Google said during a review it found it had "been mistakenly collecting
> samples of payload data from open networks".

I'd really like to know how that accidently happens...

> The admission will increase concerns about potential privacy breaches.
>
> These snippets could include parts of an email, text or photograph or
> even the website someone may be viewing.

Sounds like packet sniffing was taking place. I'm unsure how it could
have been "accidental" tho.

> In a blogpost Google said as soon as it became aware of the problem it
> grounded its Street View cars from collecting wi-fi information and
> segregated the data on its network.

Sounds like Google knew about it, and was planning to continue doing it,
but someone in Germany screwed up their plans...

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: PajaP on
On Sat, 15 May 2010 22:12:40 GMT, Dustin Cook
<bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I wear the interest in Pot with Pride

Now we know what fried your brain.