From: J G Miller on
On Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 at 01:08:22h -0700, RayLopez99 asked:

> Yes, I would like to try this program. Can you please tell me how to
> install it?

Abiword is available as a myDSL extension, so you install it through the
myDSL extensions framework.

Full instructions for how to install software available in the myDSL
extensions repository should be consulted at

<http://www.damnsmalllinux.ORG/wiki/index.php/Installing_MyDSL_Extensions>

A list of all the software available in the myDSL extensions repository
is available at

<http://distro.ibiblio.ORG/pub/linux/distributions/damnsmall/mydsl/>
From: ray on
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 01:08:22 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> On Jun 8, 5:12 pm, J G Miller <mil...(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 06:35:46 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:
>> > I also want to install OpenOffice 1.0, which is the only thing that
>> > will run on this old hardware...
>>
>> If you only need to prepare and read documents, have you considered
>> abiword instead?
>>
>>         <http://www.abisource.COM/>
>
> Yes, I would like to try this program. Can you please tell me how to
> install it? It would literally be my first Linux program I installed
> (other than what I did with RHAT over 10 years ago, which I don't
> remember). Would it, for example (I am using default directory names
> that came with installation for Damn Small Linux) go under "/sbin"? Do I
> log in under 'root' (http://www.linfo.org/root.html), then what, drag
> and drop (i.e., copy) the executable binary I download from
> abisource.com to what directory?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> RL

Hey NoBalls - there is a reason that Linux distributions have
'repositories' and 'package managers'. This ain't MS - it's easy.
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 9, 5:39 pm, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:

> Hey NoBalls - there is a reason that Linux distributions have
> 'repositories' and 'package managers'. This ain't MS - it's easy.

well if it's so fucing easy why don't you tell me (not details but big
picture) how to do it?

"thanks in advance" (I know I won't be hearing from you again, because
it's sooo easy, right?)

RL
From: ray on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:41:25 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> On Jun 9, 5:39 pm, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey NoBalls - there is a reason that Linux distributions have
>> 'repositories' and 'package managers'. This ain't MS - it's easy.
>
> well if it's so fucing easy why don't you tell me (not details but big
> picture) how to do it?
>
> "thanks in advance" (I know I won't be hearing from you again, because
> it's sooo easy, right?)
>
> RL

I did.
From: Alister Ware on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:41:25 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> On Jun 9, 5:39 pm, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey NoBalls - there is a reason that Linux distributions have
>> 'repositories' and 'package managers'. This ain't MS - it's easy.
>
> well if it's so fucing easy why don't you tell me (not details but big
> picture) how to do it?
>
> "thanks in advance" (I know I won't be hearing from you again, because
> it's sooo easy, right?)
>
> RL

Ray seems to have a issue with helping people to learn that the Windoze
way is not the only way.
most linux distributions have some form of "Package Manager" these enable
packages to be downloaded & installed directly from a "Repository" on the
internet.
if a package is not available in the repository for your distro then an
installation file can usually be found in the correct format for your
distro.

Debian based distros use apt-get as a package manager & .deb files for
instalation

Red hat (& fedora) use yum as a package manager & the RPM format for
packages

DSL uses its own form of package management & J G Miller has already
given you a link to its documentation page <http://www.damnsmalllinux.ORG/
wiki/index.php/Installing_MyDSL_Extensions>

I would suggest that before trying to create an extreme installation
( & squeezing an os into limited hardware is extreme) you might find it
beneficial to learn on a more mainstream distro with more up-to date
hardware first
--
fortune -s linux