From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:40:19 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> And thanks for your meager help. I'll find something else to ask about
> later, assuming, as is always likely with hobbyware, I cannot figure out
> how to install something. Already I'm unclear about what a 'repository'
> of installations is, but I surmise it must be recommended software that
> fits with the D.S.L. system requirements or some such. Proving that you
> cannot, like in Windows, install any third-party software in your Linux
> system. It has to be from an "approved" list. But I'll cross that
> bridge when I complain about it.
>
> RL

You can install whatever you like. If you want to install a
package that was compiled by your distro, us your distro's
version from your distro's package manager. If you want to
install a different version, or something that isn't in your
distro's repository, then you need to get the package from
someplace else. Perhaps you would get it from the author of the
software. For example; http://www.gimp.org/downloads for gimp,
http://www.xaraxtreme.org/download.html for xaralx, or
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ for the flash plugin. Some
authors do not distribute compiled versions of their software.
In these cases you get the source code and compile it, following
it's instructions.

You can even execute (make run, not make dead) some of your windows
programs on your dsl system, with the 'wine' package.

From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 11, 3:35 pm, jellybean stonerfish <stonerf...(a)geocities.com>
wrote:
> You can even execute (make run, not make dead) some of your windows
> programs on your dsl system, with the 'wine' package.

Uh, Jellyfish thanks for the tips, but do you realize I'm running
D.S.L. on a Pentium I with very little RAM? Doubt I can use "wine" for
emulation of any sort.

RL

From: J G Miller on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:08:52 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> Can't stand it when Linux is shown to be second rate, can you
> (im)Poster?

So why are you installing what you consider to be a second rate system?
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 12, 1:09 am, J G Miller <mil...(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:08:52 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:
> > Can't stand it when Linux is shown to be second rate, can you
> > (im)Poster?
>
> So why are you installing what you consider to be a second rate system?

It's for somebody else that's a cheapskate (doesn't upgrade, throw
away anything, and doesn't want to pay for a year subscription to an
antivirus program like all competent Windows users use).

RL
From: atec7 7 ""atec77" on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> On Jun 12, 1:09 am, J G Miller <mil...(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:08:52 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:
>>> Can't stand it when Linux is shown to be second rate, can you
>>> (im)Poster?
>> So why are you installing what you consider to be a second rate system?
>
> It's for somebody else that's a cheapskate (doesn't upgrade, throw
> away anything, and doesn't want to pay for a year subscription to an
> antivirus program like all competent Windows users use).
>
> RL
No one with a clue buys anything to do with winblows
easy to run without rego and the best anti viri programs are free anyway
Personally I run virtual machines on my old xeon multi with good
performance