From: Rod Speed on
Marts wrote:

> http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/09/2813803.htm?section=australia

> Now, it seems to me that if the government isn't going
> to release this report then it has something to hide.

Or it shows they fucked up spectacularly and its hardly surprising
that they dont want to expose that in an election year.

> And that seems to mean that the NBN will be a financial disaster.

Depends entirely on how you define a financial disaster.

If they spend what the govt got when they privatised Telstra on the NBN,
that is hardly anything like a financial disaster, at most it might well be that
that money could be much better spent in other areas like hospitals etc.

> But the add-on bit of this article (below) is what typically sums up
> how governments work, and in particular, how the Pubic Service
> functions (and I use the term "function" somewhat generously).

> "Senator Conroy, meanwhile, has admitted that he recommended
> a senior Labor strategist for a $450,000-a-year government job.

Corse the other side has never ever done anything like that, eh ?

> "Mike Kaiser was recently appointed to a senior post
> at the Government's National Broadband Network
> company without the position being advertised.

Corse the other side has never ever done anything like that, eh ?

And what is the point of spending on advertising if they
have already decided who will get the job anyway ?

> "He is a former Queensland Labor MP who had recently
> worked as Queensland Premier Anna Bligh's chief of staff.

And who fucked up very spectacularly indeed when he worked for Labor.

> "The Opposition raised concerns about Mr Kaiser's
> appointment during a Senate estimates hearing.

Wota surprise.

> "Under questioning from Liberal Senator Mary Jo Fisher,
> the chief executive of the NBN company, Mike Quigley,
> revealed that no other applicants were sought for the job.

> "'So you just kind of went to people, including the Minister,
> and said got a job going, got anyone you reckon might want it?
> And being good at it would be a help," " Senator Fisher said."

> So, being competant isn't a primary criteria. Rather, being connected is.

Corse that is the first time that has ever happened, eh ?