From: Mr.Jan on
On Jul 1, 9:10 am, Laura <inva...(a)sample.invalid> wrote:
> thefourthwall wrote:
> >> Start by figuring out what expenses that you want/need to track. One
> >> place to start is your tax return. What deduction, if any, do you report
> >> each year? Set up categories for each of these items. These will
> >> typically be medical, taxes paid, Gross wages (to match your w-2). Add
> >> categories for your day-to-day expenses like groceries, meals, household
> >> and anything else you might want to track. Start small and add new
> >> categories as you need to.
>
> > Thank you, Laura.  Do you typically look at spending reports that
> > include
> > taxes and other paycheck deductions, or do you filter them out?  If
> > so, how?
>
> I probably do it incorrectly but I only record my Net check. I rely on
> my year-end W2 to report the taxes on my tax return (I do validate it
> against the last check stub).
>
> You can't spend your gross amount so you really need to either record
> the net check or record the gross amount + all of the deductions as part
> of your expense stream.
>
> If you need to filter out a category then just customize the report and
> uncheck those categories. Memorize/save the report for future use.

I think recording the net pay amount is the way to go for someone
starting with Quicken. Too much detail will kill the joy of getting
your finances under control. I started with a Lotus (not Excel,
Lotus!) spreadsheet and it was exciting just to know how much money I
could spend (checking minus credit card purchases). Then a friend
turned me on to Quicken and it was so much easier to record and track.
Now, I calculate my quarterly tax payments with one report but I sure
did not start out doing that.