From: John Hasler on
Bit Twister writes:
> Just asking for code to do his job will pretty much get him into
> subject matter expert's kill files.

Unless, perhaps, he offers a consulting fee...
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Bit Twister on
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:44:08 -0500, Ohmster wrote:

> I swear to God, I spent like an entire hour almost, going over this,
> thanking BT, you, Michel, and even JG for all the help, really long
> inline answer to BT where he says I am not making any effort whatsoever
> into finding this myself or something of the sort (He really said it
> nicely.), and now, it is...
>
> ...gone. Poof. Not a trace. Not in my outbox, not in the newsgroup, not
> in recent files, nowhere at all! OMG, I am losing it, up too late, gotta
> get some sleep man.

> BT, you are right, no effort, out of time for that now.

Too bad you wasted an hour on something which is not getting you where
you want to go.

I would have guessed with the hints/questions I gave you, you should
have solved the duplicate </A> problem within a half hour.

Then it should have been a no brainer to fix your </DT> requirement.

> I got the
> granddaddy scripting school bookmarked and will have to earmark a few

I should hope so. I know I gave it to you Jun 17 2007, 10:07 am
not to mention May 2 2004, 3:20 pm

> hours a week for it, although it will take a full school year to complete
> this course:
> http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

Was not expecting you to "take a full school year to complete"
but you can use it by looking at a few sections which relate to some
problem with a script you are playing with.

><DT><A HREF="http://www.absolutearts.com/" target="_blank" >
> AbsoluteArts.com.url</A>^M</A>
>
> Saw this in vim. The ^M does not show up in Windows,

That is correct. Doze uses a carriage return line feed for end of line
while linux uses just the line feed.

> only drops down to
> next line which is what it is supposed to to I guess, although that is
> not what I wanted. :)

There are a few methods to fix that. You can fix it with some
bash substring work or use a dos2unix script, or use tr, awk,... to
munge the file before you open it in your script.

tr example: tr -d '\015' < bookmark.htm > bookmark.unix

and top of you script would look something like

#!/bin/bash
_out_fn=/tmp/urls.html
_in_fn=bookmark.unix

#* strip out dos carriage return

tr -d '\015' < bookmark.htm > bookmark.unix

/bin/cp /dev/null $_out_fn
From: Bit Twister on
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:26:37 -0500, Ohmster wrote:

> Agreed. I have comp.unix.shell in my subscribed list. Do you
> frequent the newsgroup?

I think you might find out that most of the Linux subject matter
experts lurk in lots of news groups.

I find life much easier to see a problem solved on someone elses
machine than me having to waste time trying to solve the same problem on my
machine sometime in the future.

> Might be best to move the discussion there,
> depends on if this will be a quick matter or not. I will read your

Might as well leave it in this Usenet group. Anyone tired of it will
have already kill filed the thread.

I have no problem helping anyone who is trying to help themselves. I
will give anyone a hard time if I notice that they think Usenet is
just their Help Desk.

From: Ohmster on
Bit Twister <BitTwister(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote in

[..]
> Might as well leave it in this Usenet group. Anyone tired of it will
> have already kill filed the thread.
>
> I have no problem helping anyone who is trying to help themselves. I
> will give anyone a hard time if I notice that they think Usenet is
> just their Help Desk.

Out of time, late for work. Saw your good, big message below, snagged it,
will read it tonight. Cannot find the sections of the granddaddy site that
pertain to my particular issues, work and survival mode limit the time I
have so much for this that I am litterally crippled at what I want to do
here.

Good idea not to move this thread, not enough to start a new topic with. I
only know bits and pieces of scripting and programming languages like BASIC
and a little C. dim, gosub, goto, if then, return, for A=14, next A, etc.
awk, gawk, perl, and stuff like that is fascinating but I have not been
able to absorb any. Out of time again, darn it, have to go, thank you very,
*very* much Bit, see you later.

(Holy sh*t, you remember exactly when you gave me the links to the day,
years ago!)

~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
(That is Message Body, not Subject!)
to pass my spam filter.
From: Bit Twister on
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:42:48 -0500, Ohmster wrote:

> (Holy sh*t, you remember exactly when you gave me the links to the day,
> years ago!)

Not really. There is this way-back machine. You may have heard about it,
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search

> only know bits and pieces of scripting and programming languages like BASIC
> and a little C. dim, gosub, goto, if then, return, for A=14, next A, etc.
> awk, gawk, perl, and stuff like that is fascinating but I have not been
> able to absorb any.

Check out third paragraph after header at
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux/msg/201d9af93665ba49