From: Guru on
Hi all,

I am building a new megapixel camera based on Spartan3A DSP 3400. For
one of the applications I would need H.264 core with a performance of
minimal 66Mpix/s. I prefer EDK HW core since the camera "brain" is
composed there.
Does anyone has anything to recommend?

Best regards,

Ales
From: austin on
Antti,

If he is looking for something for free, then that is fine. I do not
have free IP for H.264.

I wish him good luck.

Austin
From: Frank Buss on
austin wrote:

> If he is looking for something for free, then that is fine. I do not
> have free IP for H.264.
>
> I wish him good luck.

A "Guru" with a gmail account could implement the 670 pages standard (
http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.264-200903-I/en ) in zero time.

--
Frank Buss, fb(a)frank-buss.de
From: Nico Coesel on
Guru <ales.gorkic(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am building a new megapixel camera based on Spartan3A DSP 3400. For
>one of the applications I would need H.264 core with a performance of
>minimal 66Mpix/s. I prefer EDK HW core since the camera "brain" is
>composed there.
>Does anyone has anything to recommend?

I've been down that route. FPGA is the wrong choice for such a
project! A SoC with an H.264 accellerator or DSP is the cheapest,
easiest and least power hungry solution. For example: a Freescale
IMX27 costs less than the FPGA.

"If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"
From: Nicholas Kinar on
Guru wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am building a new megapixel camera based on Spartan3A DSP 3400. For
> one of the applications I would need H.264 core with a performance of
> minimal 66Mpix/s. I prefer EDK HW core since the camera "brain" is
> composed there.
> Does anyone has anything to recommend?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ales

Perhaps the following FOSS project from SourceForge would be of interest?

http://hardh264.sourceforge.net/
http://www.drtonygeorge.com/Video/h264/h264_rtl.htm

Apparently the hardh264 core is written in VHDL. You will have to
evaluate this IP to see if it suits your application with respect to
performance. Sometimes purchasing IP is necessary for an application,
but perhaps this IP may be more than good enough for your own project.
As alawys, be sure to check the licensing of all IP that you either
download or purchase.