From: salmonlips on

i know this is an older post but i need to share this somewhere having
just recuperated from 2days of nearly murdering my computer :D

the symptoms: after a failed install of hotspot shield i went through
the reg and deleted everything related to it, and deleted the files and
folders

reboot

result: vista boots, to a black screen

now this is spurious correlation, but it's the only thing i can trace
it to:

while trying to reinstall catalyst all i would get was "failed to load
detection driver"

so after perusing message boards until i read the same suggestions
30000 times i went about clearing out my registry of everything ati/amd
has in it (that was related to catalyst etc.) and deleting to oem.inf
that were related and clearing out everything related to ati

didn't help

my fix:
in safe mode i opened up device manager and deleted the driver entry

suddenly i could boot into vista w/ the default display and i could
install catalyst again.

may have been a collection of doing all of those, but that's what i
did, and that's what worked for me.