From: Ant on
On 3/9/2010 9:07 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

>>> On the other hand, the serial interface is simple, so console
>>> output, including error messages, will still be written to it.
>>> If you need that output, connect a different computer to
>>> the serial port, activate the serial console and capture
>>> its output. I have done this a number of times, mostly to
>>> try out experimental kernels on a cluster, but also to debug
>>> kernel panics.
>
>> Can I use my old serial external dial-up modem for this?
>
> Nope, you need a serial cable between the PCs.
>
> It would be a lot better if Linux allowed a dump to a USB stick if
> you are happy to risk the contents of the USB stick on a kernal panic.

Yes, I have no problems with a USB flash drive/stick. I can reformat. ;)
--
"I love ants. Do they have uncles? Ha Ha!" --Elmo from Sesame Street
(unknown episode)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Vlad_Inhaler on
On Mar 9, 7:14 pm, Arno <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Vlad_Inhaler <andrew.willi...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
>

> And Linux can do it. It just dumps to console instead of disk and
> this choice is resonable because fo data safety, albeit sometimes
> inconvenient in cheap setups. (Nothing against cheap setups, but
> they are a bit limited on the hardware side and that sometimes is
> inconvenient.)
>
> You are supposed to have more than one of these boxes in one place
> and then there is no issue. You can also use a number of
> serial-over-internet devices to record logs. Or a laptop with
> serial interface placed next to the offending machine. Or a modem.
> Or a serial data recorder, for example the Logomatic v2 Serial
> SD Datalogger (-> Google), which costs about 50 EUR.
>
> The cheapest solution is usually just a serial crossover cable to
> the next box in the rack that is under your control. Remember
> that this is a sercer OS we are talking about here, not an
> MS single-user-no-network OS that has over the course of time
> been heavily extended.
>
> Side note: With server PC hardware you get an IPMI console that
> also gives you the output, so the comparison with big iron is not
> fair. The serial console is the low-low-cost solution.
>
> I should also add that a "soft panic" (which is closest to a blue
> screen) typically dumps to /var/log/messages. It is only a hard panic
> that is limited to the console. A hard panic corresponds to a lockup
> without blue screen on windows.
>
> Arno
>
> --
> Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: a...(a)wagner.name
> GnuPG:  ID: 1E25338F  FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C  0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
> ----
> Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans

Nah, the NT family was designed to be on a network from the very
start. When you say 'single-user-no-network' you are talking about
3.1. Even the Win95/98/ME line was expecting to be hooked up although
the network support was just an add-on.
I will have to take the time next week to study this area (dumping
over serial interfaces). Of course, then I need to be able to
understand the dump :-(

Yousuf Khan's comment about how Solaris does it was very interesting.
My day-job is on mainframes (not IBM) and when you boot one of them,
they always ask if you want a dump of the previous session. That
would be rather annoying here but it is a good starting point.
Dumping after a previous crash landing would be useful, at least as an
option which could be turned on in some way.