From: Yousuf Khan on
Ant wrote:
>> You might want to turn on core dump saves on the machine, if you haven't
>> already done so.
>
> How do I enable core dumps saves for kernel panics?

This might be a little old, or not entirely relevant to your distro.

HOWTO enable core-dumps - LinuxReviews - Mozilla Firefox
chrome://browser/content/browser.xul

Look up for your own distro, they may have an easier way to do this,
depending what tools are included with your distro.

Yousuf Khan
From: Rod Speed on

Pascal Hambourg <boite-a-spam(a)plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 100 100 036 Pre-fail Always - 0
>>> 197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0

>> Yes, the reallocated sectors are much higher than I
>> would continue to use with new hard drives so cheap.

> Huh ? From the above, the drive has no reallocated sectors yet,

There are 36 reallocated sectors.

> and no pending (unreadable) sectors either.

Thats not what a pending sector is.

> PS : was it useful to quote all the post just to comment on one line ?

Yes, I prefer to quote the entire post for those who dont see the post I am replying
to or those who prefer to see all of what I am replying to without reading the original.

From: Rod Speed on

Pascal Hambourg <boite-a-spam(a)plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote
> Rod Speed wote
>> Ant wrote

>>> 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 100 100 036 Pre-fail Always - 0
>>> 197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0

>> Yes, the reallocated sectors are much higher than I
>> would continue to use with new hard drives so cheap.

> Huh ? From the above, the drive has no reallocated sectors yet,

Whoops, sorry, my brain fart.

> and no pending (unreadable) sectors either.

Thats not what pending sectors are.

From: Pascal Hambourg on
Rod Speed a �crit :
> Pascal Hambourg <boite-a-spam(a)plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote
>
>> and no pending (unreadable) sectors either.
>
> Thats not what pending sectors are.

Aren't pending sectors sectors waiting to be remapped because of read
errors ?

>> PS : was it useful to quote all the post just to comment on one line ?
>
> Yes, I prefer to quote the entire post for those who dont see the post I am replying
> to or those who prefer to see all of what I am replying to without reading the original.

I prefer not to have to scroll down through 100 lines to read the reply.
A common practice is to quote only what is needed for the reader to
understand the context - no more, no less.
From: Rod Speed on
Pascal Hambourg wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Pascal Hambourg <boite-a-spam(a)plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote

>>> and no pending (unreadable) sectors either.

>> Thats not what pending sectors are.

> Aren't pending sectors sectors waiting to be remapped because of read errors ?

Thats not the same thing as unreadable sectors.

>>> PS : was it useful to quote all the post just to comment on one line ?

>> Yes, I prefer to quote the entire post for those who dont see the post I am replying
>> to or those who prefer to see all of what I am replying to without reading the original.

> I prefer not to have to scroll down through 100 lines to read the reply.

And sometimes I top post to avoid that.

> A common practice is to quote only what is needed for
> the reader to understand the context - no more, no less.

I choose not to do what is a common practice of others.

I decide for myself what I think is appropriate.