From: Joe Marcus Clarke on

--=-s6KpUw5ym0hLJ0p08X0f

On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 11:48 -0500, Scott T. Hildreth wrote:
> Is there an upgrade script or do we just do a portupgrade?

As with every major upgrade (GNOME or otherwise)
consult /usr/ports/UPDATING.

Joe

>=20
>=20
> On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 10:52 -0500, Scott T. Hildreth wrote:
>=20
> > Bravo, I know the team had to do a lot of work to get this in before
> > 6.2,
> > so great job everyone!
> >=20
> >=20
> > On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 05:42 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >=20
> > > The FreeBSD GNOME Team is proud to announce that GNOME 2.16.1 has bee=
> > > imported into the ports tree in time for FreeBSD 6.2. This is a firs=
t.
> > > Usually the GNOME release cycle has conflicted with the FreeBSD relea=
se
> > > cycle. However, thanks to Kris and pointyhat, we were able to get th=
> > > major patch tested. Below is the commit message that accompanied thi=
> > > huge release. In addition to the core GNOME ports, almost 500 ports
> > > were also touched to chase the GNOME move from X11BASE to LOCALBASE a=
nd
> > > fix build problems with the new freetype2.
> > >=20
> > > "Presenting GNOME 2.16.1 for FreeBSD. This release represents a mass=
ive
> > > amount of work by the FreeBSD GNOME Team and our testers.
> > >=20
> > > On top of the usual GNOME update, we have taken this opportunity to m=
ove
> > > GNOME from X11BASE to LOCALBASE. This means roughly 600 ports NOT pa=
rt of
> > > the GNOME Desktop also need to be changed. The bulk of the move was =
carried
> > > out by ahze, mezz, and pav, but it would not have been possible witho=
ut
> > > cooperation from the FreeBSD KDE team who worked with us to make sure
> > > GNOME and KDE can still coexist happily. We would also like to send =
> > > shout out to kris and pointyhat for putting up with multiple test run=
> > > until we got something that was solid.
> > >=20
> > > Back to GNOME 2.16. This release brings a huge amount of new functio=
nality
> > > to FreeBSD. The standard release notes can be read at
> > > http://www.gnome.org/start/2.16/ . But on top of what you will read =
there,
> > > jylefort and marcus have completed work on a port of HAL to FreeBSD. =
This
> > > will allow FreeBSD to take advantage of closer hardware interaction s=
uch
> > > as auto-mounting CD-ROMs, USB drives, and music players; auto-playing
> > > audio CDs; and managing laptop power consumption.
> > >=20
> > > But where would this all be without our loyal testers and contributor=
s?
> > > Therefore, the FreeBSD GNOME team would like to thank the following u=
sers:
> > >=20
> > > Phillip Neumann <pneumann(a)gmail.com>
> > > tmclaugh
> > > mux
> > > Yuri Pankov <yuri.pankov(a)gmail.com>
> > > chinsan
> > > Thomas <freebsdlists(a)bsdunix.ch>
> > > Brian Gruber <knightbg(a)yahoo.com>
> > > Franz Klammer <klammer(a)webonaut.com>
> > > Dominique Goncalves <dominique.goncalves(a)gmail.com>
> > > Pascal Hofstee <caelian(a)gmail.com>
> > > Yasuda Keisuke <kysd(a)po.harenet.ne.jp>
> > > backyard <backyard1454-bsd(a)yahoo.com>
> > > Andris Raugulis <endrju(a)null.lv> <endrju(a)null.lv>
> > > Eric L. Chen <d9364104(a)mail.nchu.edu.tw>
> > > Pawel Worach <pawel.worach(a)gmail.com>
> > > QuiRK on #freebsd-gnome
> > > Shane Bell <decept0(a)gmail.com>
> > > luigi
> > > sajd on #freebsd-gnome
> > > sat
> > > Chris Coleman <chrisc(a)vmunix.com>
> > > kaeru on #freebsd-gnome
> > > crsd_ via irc.freenode.org/#FreeBSD-GNOME
> > > Joel Diaz <joeldiaz(a)mac.com>
> > >=20
> > > Enjoy!"
> > >=20
> > > Marcus on Behalf of the FreeBSD GNOME Team:
> > >=20
> > > ahze
> > > bland
> > > jylefort
> > > kwm
> > > marcus
> > > mezz
> > > pav
> > >=20
>=20
>=20
--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team :: gnome(a)FreeBSD.org
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome

--=-s6KpUw5ym0hLJ0p08X0f

--=-s6KpUw5ym0hLJ0p08X0f--

From: Robert Huff on
Scott T. Hildreth writes:

> Is there an upgrade script or do we just do a portupgrade?

Check /usr/ports/UPDATING.

Robert Huff
<snip>
By the way, if anyone have any problem with login in GNOME after the
upgrade such as slow or maybe get a very small error. Try to run this
gnome_prefix.sh[1] script as in your orignal user to fix the ~/.* files if
you don't want to remove your GNOME config. Let me know if it helps. If
there is any more ~/.* that need to be add in gnome_prefix, just let me
know and I will be happy to add.

The gnome_prefix.sh will asking you if you want it to edit at the each
file by default. If you don't care about that, you can run
'gnome_prefix.sh -f' to allow it edit any files without ask.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/gnome_prefix.sh

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7(a)cox.net - mezz(a)FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team - FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)

It looks like ports/UPDATING is mixing sysutils/portmanager and
portmaster in the 20061014 part that tells how to update gnome. Is
that on purpose?

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay(a)meraka.csir.co.za / jhay(a)FreeBSD.org
On 10/14/06, John Hay <jhay(a)meraka.org.za> wrote:

> It looks like ports/UPDATING is mixing sysutils/portmanager and
> portmaster in the 20061014 part that tells how to update gnome. Is
> that on purpose?

it's not mixing, it's giving you the option to use portmaster OR portmanager.