From: "Michael Johnson" on
On 10/14/06, Michael Johnson <ahze(a)ahze.net> wrote:
> On 10/14/06, John Hay <jhay(a)meraka.org.za> wrote:
> >
> > It looks like ports/UPDATING is mixing sysutils/portmanager and
> > portmaster in the 20061014 part that tells how to update gnome. Is
> > that on purpose?
> >

> it's not mixing, it's giving you the option to use portmaster OR portmanager.

er, nm I see what you're talking about now.

On Saturday 14 October 2006 21:14, John Hay wrote:
> It looks like ports/UPDATING is mixing sysutils/portmanager and
> portmaster in the 20061014 part that tells how to update gnome. Is
> that on purpose?

The instuctions are for portmaster; the mention of sysutils/portmanager looks
like a typo.

You never actually have to give portmanager any particular hints about what to
do.
John Hay wrote:
> It looks like ports/UPDATING is mixing sysutils/portmanager and
> portmaster in the 20061014 part that tells how to update gnome. Is
> that on purpose?

The entry says this:

20061014:
AFFECTS: All GNOME users
AUTHOR: gnome(a)FreeBSD.org

GNOME has been updated to 2.16 and all GNOME components have been
moved from X11BASE to LOCALBASE, to upgrade your GNOME desktop and
applications you will need either sysutils/portupgrade or
sysutils/portmaster.

Portupgrade users:
pkgdb -Ff
portupgrade -rf glib-2\* cairo gnome-doc-utils gnome-mime-data \
gnome-audio startup-notification dbus

Portmaster users:
portmaster -r pkg-config\*

The introductory paragraph says "either/or," so it seems pretty clear
to me that if you use portupgrade, do X; if you use portmaster, do Y.
I'm sure however that if you have suggestions for improving that
paragraph, the gnome folks would like to hear them. :)

For those that choose to use portmaster to do the upgrade, first of
all, thanks. :) Second, please make sure that you use the latest
version (1.9), and do NOT attempt this with earlier versions. If you
do, it will fail in a spectacular and painful fashion. I worked
closely with mezz to make sure that portmaster would Do The Right
Thing for this upgrade, and found and fixed several problems with the
way -r was handled previously in the process.

One last thing, you will probably be happier if you add either -d (to
delete all stale distfiles) or -D (to not delete any distfiles) to the
beginning of your command line for portmaster. That way once you get
past the 'make config' stage and actually start building stuff, you
_probably_ won't have to answer any more questions. Also, given that
if this update fails part way through, a backup package of the old
port probably won't help you, you could save yourself some time by
using the -G option as well.

In the unlikely *cough* event that portmaster chokes a bunny while
doing this upgrade for you, please feel free to send a message to the
list, and cc: me. I do pay attention to those messages, but given my
real world commitments at this time, you might very well get the right
answer faster from someone on the -ports@ list before I could provide it.

hth,

Doug

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 23:54:08 -0500, Doug Barton <dougb(a)FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> John Hay wrote:
>> It looks like ports/UPDATING is mixing sysutils/portmanager and
>> portmaster in the 20061014 part that tells how to update gnome. Is
>> that on purpose?
>
> The entry says this:
>
> 20061014:
> AFFECTS: All GNOME users
> AUTHOR: gnome(a)FreeBSD.org
>
> GNOME has been updated to 2.16 and all GNOME components have been
> moved from X11BASE to LOCALBASE, to upgrade your GNOME desktop and
> applications you will need either sysutils/portupgrade or
> sysutils/portmaster.
>
> Portupgrade users:
> pkgdb -Ff
> portupgrade -rf glib-2\* cairo gnome-doc-utils gnome-mime-data \
> gnome-audio startup-notification dbus
>
> Portmaster users:
> portmaster -r pkg-config\*
>

> The introductory paragraph says "either/or," so it seems pretty clear to
> me that if you use portupgrade, do X; if you use portmaster, do Y. I'm
> sure however that if you have suggestions for improving that paragraph,
> the gnome folks would like to hear them. :)
>
> For those that choose to use portmaster to do the upgrade, first of all,
> thanks. :) Second, please make sure that you use the latest version
> (1.9), and do NOT attempt this with earlier versions. If you do, it will
> fail in a spectacular and painful fashion. I worked closely with mezz to
> make sure that portmaster would Do The Right Thing for this upgrade, and
> found and fixed several problems with the way -r was handled previously
> in the process.

I have added an important sentence in UPDATING about that need to have
least 1.9 version of portmaster to have the upgrade success. Thanks for
remind! :-)

portmaster rocks!

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7(a)cox.net - mezz(a)FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team - FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> The FreeBSD GNOME Team is proud to announce that GNOME 2.16.1 has been
> imported into the ports tree in time for FreeBSD 6.2. This is a first.
> Usually the GNOME release cycle has conflicted with the FreeBSD release
> cycle. However, thanks to Kris and pointyhat, we were able to get the
> major patch tested. Below is the commit message that accompanied this
> huge release. In addition to the core GNOME ports, almost 500 ports
> were also touched to chase the GNOME move from X11BASE to LOCALBASE and
> fix build problems with the new freetype2.
>
> "Presenting GNOME 2.16.1 for FreeBSD. This release represents a massive
> amount of work by the FreeBSD GNOME Team and our testers.
>
> On top of the usual GNOME update, we have taken this opportunity to move
> GNOME from X11BASE to LOCALBASE. This means roughly 600 ports NOT part of
> the GNOME Desktop also need to be changed. The bulk of the move was carried
> out by ahze, mezz, and pav, but it would not have been possible without
> cooperation from the FreeBSD KDE team who worked with us to make sure
> GNOME and KDE can still coexist happily. We would also like to send a
> shout out to kris and pointyhat for putting up with multiple test runs
> until we got something that was solid.
>
> Back to GNOME 2.16. This release brings a huge amount of new functionality
> to FreeBSD. The standard release notes can be read at
> http://www.gnome.org/start/2.16/ . But on top of what you will read there,
> jylefort and marcus have completed work on a port of HAL to FreeBSD. This
> will allow FreeBSD to take advantage of closer hardware interaction such
> as auto-mounting CD-ROMs, USB drives, and music players; auto-playing
> audio CDs; and managing laptop power consumption.

Hello and thanks for your hard work!

I've been using WITH_GECKO=seamonkey (and WITH_MOZILLA=seamonkey) and
now when trying to install new Gnome (after uninstalling nearly
everything) I've got the following error message from yelp installation:

checking which gecko to use... seamonkey
checking for compiler -fshort-wchar option... yes
checking whether to enable C++ RTTI... no
checking whether we have a gtk 2 gecko build... yes
checking whether we have a gecko debug build... no
checking for gecko version... 1.8
configure: error: seamonkey is not supported
===> Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please run the gnomelogalyzer, available from
"http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/gnomelogalyzer.sh", which will diagnose the
problem and suggest a solution. If - and only if - the gnomelogalyzer cannot
solve the problem, report the build failure to the FreeBSD GNOME team at
gnome(a)FreeBSD.org, and attach (a)
"/usr/ports/x11/yelp/work/yelp-2.16.1/config.log", (b) the output of the
failed make command, and (c) the gnomelogalyzer output. Also, it might be a
good idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
(i.e. an `ls /var/db/pkg`). Put your attachment up on any website,
copy-and-paste into http://freebsd-gnome.pastebin.com, or use send-pr(1)
with
the attachment. Try to avoid sending any attachments to the mailing list
(gnome(a)FreeBSD.org), because attachments sent to FreeBSD mailing lists are
usually discarded by the mailing list software.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/yelp.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/yelp.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2-lite.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2-lite.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa
/tmp/portinstall.3919.0 env make reinstall
** Fix the installation problem and try again.
---> Installation of x11/gnome2-lite ended at: Mon, 16 Oct 2006
00:24:55 +0200 (consumed 00:04:15)
---> Fresh installation of x11/gnome2-lite ended at: Mon, 16 Oct 2006
00:24:55 +0200 (consumed 00:05:26)
---> ** Install tasks 1: 0 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 372 packages
found (-0 +1) . done]
---> Listing the results (+:done / -:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
! x11/gnome2-lite (install error)
---> Packages processed: 0 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed
---> Session ended at: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:24:57 +0200 (consumed 00:06:22)

I cannot see a reason why seamonkey wouldn't be supported (and it's
listed in yelp/Makefile).
Could you please check and fix this ?

Cheers,

Martin