From: Herbert Kleebauer on
Ricky Liu wrote:

> I don't want to be harsh. But your posting here means that you don't read
> documentation - you just posted in a newsgroup that is not listed in the
> doc.
> Don't ask such questions if the answer can be found in the doc!

The answer of any question which can be answered in this group
can be found somewhere in a documentation. With your logic, no
question nat all should be asked in a news group. A news group
isn't only there for question/answer postings, but also to get
in contact with other persons with the same interests. If
someone has a problem to install and use HLA, why shouldn't he
say this in a.l.a (even if he would be able to solve the problem
himself after reading all the documentation)? Randy is reading
this group and when he sees more of such postings, then he knows
that he has somehow to improve the installation process or give
better error messages. And if he had asked in a forum which is
"listed in the doc", do you really think he had got an answer
like: "you only waste your time if you want to learn assembly
programming and use HLA, use a real assembler instead" or
"you also waste your time if you want to write an application
with HLA, use a real HLL instead"? And such information is
much more important for the OP than the information how to
solve his problem.
From: randyhyde@earthlink.net on

AceHigh wrote:
> Hello, this is my first post. I recently downloaded the HLA free compiler
> and I get this error message when compiling a test program:
>
> Assembling: hla001.asm
> hlalib.lib(excepts.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
> __imp__Messa
> geBoxA(a)16 referenced in function L209_false__hla_
> hla001.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
> Error returned by link = 1120
>
> so what am i doing wrong?

As Sevag noted, you've probably not set the HLALIB environment variable
properly. Did you use the HLA installation program? Or did you do a
manual installation? In any case, a quick solution (which is not a good
long-term solution) is to try the following:

hla hla001 c:\hla\hlalib\hlalib.lib

and see if that does the job for you (this assumes that you've
installed HLA on your C: drive in the "HLA" subdirectory). If this
works, then you've definitely got an environment variable issue. There
are several solutions to this problem, some temporary, some permanent.
The following document explains your options:

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmTools/HLA/HLADoc/HLARef/HLARef9.html#1035796

Another solution is to download Sevag's HIDE (HLA IDE) system, which
automatically sets up all the environment variables for you (as well as
providing a nice editor and development environment). You can download
HIDE here:

http://www.geocities.com/kahlinor/HIDE.html

Good luck playing around with assembly language. And as pointed out
elsewhere, if you'd like more help without the abuse from those with an
axe to grind, you might check out the AoA/HLA Programming group on
Yahoo at

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: Ricky Liu on
> The answer of any question which can be answered in this group
> can be found somewhere in a documentation.
Are you sure? How about I ask questions on the current development
progress of Rosasm and HLA? Suppose I ask "What do you think about my
assembly code as follows?". Can the answers be found in a doc?

> With your logic, no
> question nat all should be asked in a news group.
You misunderstood my words. It is a respect to people not posting such faq,
whose answers can easily be found in a doc, to a newsgroup. I am talking
about
people just keep asking but not reading.

> A news group
> isn't only there for question/answer postings, but also to get
> in contact with other persons with the same interests.
True, as shown in my sample questions above.

> If
> someone has a problem to install and use HLA, why shouldn't he
> say this in a.l.a (even if he would be able to solve the problem
> himself after reading all the documentation)?
It is because the web site of HLA has provided the forums dedicated
to HLA. Why you not post questions like this to these forums, in which all
people are insterested in? Do you think this question will be answered more
quickly and better in ala than in the dedicated forums?

> Randy is reading
> this group and when he sees more of such postings, then he knows
> that he has somehow to improve the installation process or give
> better error messages.
Sure he is reading. That's why he doesn't answer such question. You will
find yourself get mad if the users keep asking the same questions again and
again just because they do not follow the installation instruction!

>And if he had asked in a forum which is
> "listed in the doc", do you really think he had got an answer
> like: "you only waste your time if you want to learn assembly
> programming and use HLA, use a real assembler instead" or
> "you also waste your time if you want to write an application
> with HLA, use a real HLL instead"? And such information is
> much more important for the OP than the information how to
> solve his problem.
I don't think such answers are revelant to the OP's question. If the OP asks
whether HLA is good for me to learn assembly, the above answers will
become relevant (correct or not) then.