From: elturco on
On Dec 18, 11:30 pm, Gurveer <gurveer....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 18, 8:21 am, Katie <kjea...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > I must say I still prefer the 48gx programmed by myself, it just do
> > > what I want, including the way it collects the data,
> > > the TDS was good enough and now it's some software for the hp50 that
> > > comes with a bluetooth interface,
> > > I never used it but it looks very nice.
> > > Take a look at this:http://www.stakemill.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id...
>
> > Not sure if I was reading that right, but the dc50 software has
> > nothing to do with the TeDiuS software from the 48 time. I should know
> > since I wrote it. . . :-)
>
> > I am no longer part of that company as I work for HP now, but if you
> > send an email to sa...(a)pssllc.com John could very easily hook you up
> > with a demo if interested.
>
> > TW
>
> That's super cool. Thanks a lot! Of course, I'm interested and look
> forward to that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gurveer

Katie is right, they are two independent companies TDS (for the 48gx)
and PSS (for the DC50).
And by doing a little research you will notice that the 48 or now the
50 are still prefered because they just do the work no need for a
color screen or softouch or pen, the price is low, ultra simple OS,
etc.
From: PremiumBlend on
On Dec 21, 11:01 am, elturco <anuara...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Not sure if I was reading that right, but the dc50 software has
> > > nothing to do with the TeDiuS software from the 48 time. I should know
> > > since I wrote it. . . :-)
>
> > > I am no longer part of that company as I work for HP now, but if you
> > > send an email to sa...(a)pssllc.com John could very easily hook you up
> > > with a demo if interested.
>
> > > TW
>
> > That's super cool. Thanks a lot! Of course, I'm interested and look
> > forward to that.
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Gurveer
>
> Katie is right, they are two independent companies TDS (for the 48gx)
> and PSS (for the DC50).
> And by doing a little research you will notice that the 48 or now the
> 50 are still prefered because they just do the work no need for a
> color screen or softouch or pen, the price is low, ultra simple OS,
> etc.- Hide quoted text -

I would like to mention Software by D'Zign
as an excellent low-cost alternative to
higher-priced surveying software. Although
it lacks the sophistication of upper echelon
software, it is written by a surveyor who has
been surveying since the early 1960's. In
former years he has written software for the
HP 41, 42S, 48SX/GX, and 49. I began
using his software in 1990 and continued
with it until 1995 when I switched to SMI
because their software could interface with
a total station, a capability D'Zign didn't offer
until years later. It's a shame that Eagle Point,
the company that bought SMI near the turn of
the century, didn't rewrite SMI software for the
HP 50G because in my humble opinion, SMI
offered the best field software ever written. I
have looked briefly at the DC50 by PSS and
Tim did an excellent job writing the software.
He "broke the mold" by incorporating innovative
features such as screen icons and those cool
directory-style labels. I also think it's great that
the DC50 allows you write your own programs
that can interface with their coordinate file (?).
Sometimes you have some job that you would
like to write a special program just to make
your life easier, right?
From: PremiumBlend on
On Dec 21, 11:01 am, elturco <anuara...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Not sure if I was reading that right, but the dc50 software has
> > > nothing to do with the TeDiuS software from the 48 time. I should know
> > > since I wrote it. . . :-)
>
> > > I am no longer part of that company as I work for HP now, but if you
> > > send an email to sa...(a)pssllc.com John could very easily hook you up
> > > with a demo if interested.
>
> > > TW
>
> > That's super cool. Thanks a lot! Of course, I'm interested and look
> > forward to that.
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Gurveer
>
> Katie is right, they are two independent companies TDS (for the 48gx)
> and PSS (for the DC50).
> And by doing a little research you will notice that the 48 or now the
> 50 are still prefered because they just do the work no need for a
> color screen or softouch or pen, the price is low, ultra simple OS,
> etc.- Hide quoted text -

I would like to mention Software by D'Zign at
http://www.softwarebydzign.com/, as a low-cost, but
very good alternative to upper echelon surveying
software. I used D'Zign software on my HP 48GX from
1993 through 1995 at which point I switched to SMI
software because it could interface with a total
station, a capability D'Zign didn't offer until years
later. In my opinion, SMI software was the best field
software ever written for a handheld calculator.
It's a shame that Eagle Point, the company that
purchased SMI near the turn of the century, didn't
rewrite the software for the HP 50G.

I have looked briefly at the DC50 by PSS and I think
Tim did an excellent job writing the software. He
"broke the mold" of traditional programming by using
screen icons and those cool directory-style labels.
I think it's a great idea to allow a user the
liberty of using his own programs with the DC50. How
many times have you had some job that you would like
a special program for, right?