From: Tony Stanford on

Hi -

I have an HP Deskjet 970 which works just fine ... except for one thing.
It keeps picking up two sheets at a time from the paper stack. It does
this so often that I have to stand there, feeding in one sheet at a
time, which really slows down printing - I can't leave it unattended.

And yes, I do fan the paper first. I am using standard grade 80grm
printer paper. I have even tried using a pencil eraser on the four
rubber rollers that are visible when I lift the lid.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Tony

From: Al on

Tony Stanford wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have an HP Deskjet 970 which works just fine ... except for one thing.
> It keeps picking up two sheets at a time from the paper stack. It does
> this so often that I have to stand there, feeding in one sheet at a
> time, which really slows down printing - I can't leave it unattended.
>
> And yes, I do fan the paper first. I am using standard grade 80grm
> printer paper. I have even tried using a pencil eraser on the four
> rubber rollers that are visible when I lift the lid.
>
> I'd be grateful for any advice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

I don't really have an answer for you Tony. I've been waiting for
others to reply because I use several 9XX series printers. The most
common problem with feeds is not picking up quickly or not at all.
Occasionally, I have had an extra sheet pull through, but very rarely.
When the paper doesn't feed, we always say to clean all the rollers
and sometimes rough them up. That wouldn't seem to help here. My best
guess is that the setting for retaining the paper is set too tight. In
other words, that slider that is supposed to be moved up to the paper
is somehow jammed against the paper. Try pulling it back, even not in
contact with the paper. I say that because I recently pulled about a
dozen sheets through at the same time and recognized what I did.
Experiment with this concept. Try putting a bundle of paper in and
pulling it back an eighth of an inch and seeing how it grabs paper
then. That's all I can offer without pulling one apart.
From: Tony Stanford on
Hi -

Thanks for the reply. I've not had your problem with the printer not
picking up paper. It's always the reverse - two pages at a time. I've
followed your helpful suggestion and made sure the slider is not
touching the paper. It just took three sheets at once!

I am thinking of replacing it, since it is quite old. I've always stayed
with HP printers because I print mainly text, and the quality of its
draft print is excellent. The cartridges last, too.

Do the later series HP printers, eg 6000 series, have paper feed
problems, anyone? Do they pick up two sheets at once?

Tony

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, at 14:10:59, Al <albundy2(a)mailinator.com> wrote

--
Tony Stanford
From: Al on

Tony Stanford wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Thanks for the reply. I've not had your problem with the printer not
> picking up paper. It's always the reverse - two pages at a time. I've
> followed your helpful suggestion and made sure the slider is not
> touching the paper. It just took three sheets at once!
>
> I am thinking of replacing it, since it is quite old. I've always stayed
> with HP printers because I print mainly text, and the quality of its
> draft print is excellent. The cartridges last, too.
>
> Do the later series HP printers, eg 6000 series, have paper feed
> problems, anyone? Do they pick up two sheets at once?
>
> Tony
>
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, at 14:10:59, Al <albundy2(a)mailinator.com> wrote
> >
> >I don't really have an answer for you Tony. I've been waiting for
> >others to reply because I use several 9XX series printers. The most
> >common problem with feeds is not picking up quickly or not at all.
> >Occasionally, I have had an extra sheet pull through, but very rarely.
> >When the paper doesn't feed, we always say to clean all the rollers and
> >sometimes rough them up. That wouldn't seem to help here. My best guess
> >is that the setting for retaining the paper is set too tight. In other
> >words, that slider that is supposed to be moved up to the paper is
> >somehow jammed against the paper. Try pulling it back, even not in
> >contact with the paper. I say that because I recently pulled about a
> >dozen sheets through at the same time and recognized what I did.
> >Experiment with this concept. Try putting a bundle of paper in and
> >pulling it back an eighth of an inch and seeing how it grabs paper
> >then. That's all I can offer without pulling one apart.
>
> --
> Tony Stanford

It would be interesting to note how many pages that old printer has
printed to get to this point. You can obtain the "Total Engine Count"
by holding down the power button and pressing the resume button four
times and letting up on both. The product ID and engine count will
print out.

Yes, the volume of black ink is substantial in these old HP's and they
are so easy to refill.

As a last resort you could try taking a sheet of sandpaper and running
it through on one side and then the other. If you hold the paper under
some tension, that will force a slippage that will sand the rollers.
Don't hesitate to use some force as this is a last ditch effort. I
have never damaged anything doing this. I would suggest using #200 or
finer paper, but use whatever you have. In the early days, HP provided
a kit that included such paper and a floppy disk program that moved
the paper back and forth to scuff up the rollers. In your case, I
wonder if something is stuck to one of the rollers, which thereby
applies more pressure to the paper feed and causing it to grab extra
sheets. This sandpaper technique would help clean that extra substance
from the rollers and might restore the one-sheet-at-a-time
functionality.
From: Tony Stanford on
An excellent idea! Thank you very much!

Thanks also for the hint about a total engine count. It is 11692 pages.
So not a lot, given that I've had it for so long.

Tony

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, at 08:36:57, Al <albundy2(a)mailinator.com> wrote
>It would be interesting to note how many pages that old printer has
>printed to get to this point. You can obtain the "Total Engine Count"
>by holding down the power button and pressing the resume button four
>times and letting up on both. The product ID and engine count will
>print out.
>
>Yes, the volume of black ink is substantial in these old HP's and they
>are so easy to refill.
>
>As a last resort you could try taking a sheet of sandpaper and running
>it through on one side and then the other. If you hold the paper under
>some tension, that will force a slippage that will sand the rollers.
>Don't hesitate to use some force as this is a last ditch effort. I have
>never damaged anything doing this. I would suggest using #200 or finer
>paper, but use whatever you have. In the early days, HP provided a kit
>that included such paper and a floppy disk program that moved the paper
>back and forth to scuff up the rollers. In your case, I wonder if
>something is stuck to one of the rollers, which thereby applies more
>pressure to the paper feed and causing it to grab extra sheets. This
>sandpaper technique would help clean that extra substance from the
>rollers and might restore the one-sheet-at-a-time functionality.

--
Tony Stanford
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2