From: Bernard on
Hi to Everyone,

My old HP DJ1120C is mostly used under Debian Linux. However, under
Linux, there is no head alignment function available. So, each time I
replaced the ink cartridges, I had to connect my printer to an old PC
that ran under Win95 so that I could align the heads.

On my new PC under Debian Linux, I have a Windows partition (XP), but I
have so far failed to install any appropriate driver for that Deskjet
1120C. If I try to use the original CD that I got when I purchased the
printer, which is meant for Win95, I get the curious message as follows :

"This program requires at least 3MB of free virtual memory to run"

I must confess that I don't know how much virtual memory I have, and I
have not found a way to check this. In any case, I never had this problem
when I first installed the driver several years ago.

So, I have tried to find an up to date driver for this printer. The one I
first found was called : "dj726". Once installed, it appeared lilely that
it is just a "driver updater". In any case, it did not seem to do
anything, except to keep running in the background. I could not uninstall
it : the system replied that it was running, so uninstall would not work.
No icon was available to shut it down, so there was no way to get out of
this. I could not remove the files and directories either. So, in the
end, I went removing files and directories once I had restarted under
Linux. Back to Windows XP, the system detected an anomaly and shutdown.
After a restart, it seemed to run OK.

Then I found another driver: 'dj171'. But I had no success with this one
either. At one time, it asked to chose between LPT1 and LPT2, I replied
LPT1, and soon after it said that it could not start the install process,
and I had to face another unexpected error followed by a shutdown.

Thanks in advance for your help.