From: Sparky on
Sorry if this should go to another group , but I thought I'd start here..

Currently have a Win 7 / 64 bit desktop and a Win XP desktop sharing files ,
folders and my 2 printers ( Canon MP510 and HP LaserJet 1020).

Everything working nicely ( and I'm bored so I want to torture myself ).

Just added a Win 7 Netbook ( starter edition ). It sees all the shared files
and folders ( when wired and wirelessly ) and I'm curious about printing
from the netbook when it's using it's wireless connection. As stated above
, the printers are connected to my main box , but they are NOT network
enhanced printers. I can browse for them on the Netbook and I'm prompted to
install drivers....I just haven't done it yet. Is it OK to proceed..??? Will
I be able to print to the Canon wirelessly when my main box is up and
running ?

Many Thanks

From: Gary on

"Sparky" <no(a)nothere.com> wrote in message
> Sorry if this should go to another group , but I thought I'd start here..
>
> Currently have a Win 7 / 64 bit desktop and a Win XP desktop sharing files
> , folders and my 2 printers ( Canon MP510 and HP LaserJet 1020).
>
> Everything working nicely ( and I'm bored so I want to torture myself ).
>
> Just added a Win 7 Netbook ( starter edition ). It sees all the shared
> files and folders ( when wired and wirelessly ) and I'm curious about
> printing from the netbook when it's using it's wireless connection. As
> stated above , the printers are connected to my main box , but they are
> NOT network enhanced printers. I can browse for them on the Netbook and
> I'm prompted to install drivers....I just haven't done it yet. Is it OK to
> proceed..??? Will I be able to print to the Canon wirelessly when my main
> box is up and running ?
>
> Many Thanks

Should work with no problem. I have something similar except I'm running
Vista on a desktop with a printer attached. I can print from either my new
laptop running WIN7 or from my older laptop running WinXP, both of which are
connected wirelessly to the network.

I just got a print server so I could set up to print without having the
Vista box fired up but I haven't got the nerve up yet to try to set it up.
One of these days! B-)

Gary
Visit our website and do the jigsaw puzzle at
www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html

From: tomcas on
Sparky wrote:
> Sorry if this should go to another group , but I thought I'd start here..
>
> Currently have a Win 7 / 64 bit desktop and a Win XP desktop sharing
> files , folders and my 2 printers ( Canon MP510 and HP LaserJet 1020).
>
> Everything working nicely ( and I'm bored so I want to torture myself ).
>
> Just added a Win 7 Netbook ( starter edition ). It sees all the shared
> files and folders ( when wired and wirelessly ) and I'm curious about
> printing from the netbook when it's using it's wireless connection. As
> stated above , the printers are connected to my main box , but they are
> NOT network enhanced printers. I can browse for them on the Netbook and
> I'm prompted to install drivers....I just haven't done it yet. Is it OK
> to proceed..??? Will I be able to print to the Canon wirelessly when my
> main box is up and running ?
>
> Many Thanks

Yes install the drivers and yes you will be able to print.
From: Sparky on

"tomcas" <tomcas(a)email.com> wrote in message
> Sparky wrote:
>> Sorry if this should go to another group , but I thought I'd start here..
>>
>> Currently have a Win 7 / 64 bit desktop and a Win XP desktop sharing
>> files , folders and my 2 printers ( Canon MP510 and HP LaserJet 1020).
>>
>> Everything working nicely ( and I'm bored so I want to torture myself ).
>>
>> Just added a Win 7 Netbook ( starter edition ). It sees all the shared
>> files and folders ( when wired and wirelessly ) and I'm curious about
>> printing from the netbook when it's using it's wireless connection. As
>> stated above , the printers are connected to my main box , but they are
>> NOT network enhanced printers. I can browse for them on the Netbook and
>> I'm prompted to install drivers....I just haven't done it yet. Is it OK
>> to proceed..??? Will I be able to print to the Canon wirelessly when my
>> main box is up and running ?
>>
>> Many Thanks
>>

> Yes install the drivers and yes you will be able to print.

I found that out, while waiting for replies ! I have 2 printers , but I'm
not pushing my luck !

Thanks again

From: Patty on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:15:17 -0800, Sparky wrote:

> "tomcas" <tomcas(a)email.com> wrote in message
>> Sparky wrote:
>>> Sorry if this should go to another group , but I thought I'd start here..
>>>
>>> Currently have a Win 7 / 64 bit desktop and a Win XP desktop sharing
>>> files , folders and my 2 printers ( Canon MP510 and HP LaserJet 1020).
>>>
>>> Everything working nicely ( and I'm bored so I want to torture myself ).
>>>
>>> Just added a Win 7 Netbook ( starter edition ). It sees all the shared
>>> files and folders ( when wired and wirelessly ) and I'm curious about
>>> printing from the netbook when it's using it's wireless connection. As
>>> stated above , the printers are connected to my main box , but they are
>>> NOT network enhanced printers. I can browse for them on the Netbook and
>>> I'm prompted to install drivers....I just haven't done it yet. Is it OK
>>> to proceed..??? Will I be able to print to the Canon wirelessly when my
>>> main box is up and running ?
>>>
>>> Many Thanks
>>>

>> Yes install the drivers and yes you will be able to print.
>
> I found that out, while waiting for replies ! I have 2 printers , but I'm
> not pushing my luck !
>
> Thanks again

Yep, just share it as you would any printer connected to a system. I also
have a similar setup, except that I'm all Windows XP still, but I have an
HP laserjet 1012 connected to my desktop through USB and I also use it with
my wireless laptop. As long as you have a wireless connection to your
network, the printer should work just as your share of files and folders
does.

You can share as many printers as you like, as long as the host computer
they are connected to is turned on. Various printers will require various
driver installs (some that are native to the OS might not need an
additional driver installed).

Patty