From: Jeff Strickland on
My kid, bless her, bought a Slimline and she thought it had a PCI slot on
the motherboard so she could install a wireless adaptor. The slot isn't PCI,
but I'm not sure what it is. Is there a new spec, PCI Express or similar?

The slot is labeled PCIE16X, and my PCI cards do not fit. the card I have
has an edge connector that is divided into three sections, but the slot on
the motherboard is divided into two sections, and the smallest section is
smaller than the smallest section on the board.

The Slimline takes a card that's different than what I have, but I'm not
sure what it wants me to plug in. I've run into a PCI spec that doesn't
conform to what I know, and I don't know what to do from here. I need a
wireless adaptor, and maybe I have to go with a USB solution.

From: JD on
On 09/08/2010 12:19 AM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
> My kid, bless her, bought a Slimline and she thought it had a PCI slot on
> the motherboard so she could install a wireless adaptor. The slot isn't PCI,
> but I'm not sure what it is. Is there a new spec, PCI Express or similar?
>
> The slot is labeled PCIE16X, and my PCI cards do not fit. the card I have
> has an edge connector that is divided into three sections, but the slot on
> the motherboard is divided into two sections, and the smallest section is
> smaller than the smallest section on the board.
>
> The Slimline takes a card that's different than what I have, but I'm not
> sure what it wants me to plug in. I've run into a PCI spec that doesn't
> conform to what I know, and I don't know what to do from here. I need a
> wireless adaptor, and maybe I have to go with a USB solution.

Sounds like a PCI-E to me, you can buy a cheap PCI-E Express (1x) card
(the small one) and put it into a PCI-E 16x Slot (the larger Slot)

here's a digram of the Slots:
http://hothardware.com/News/NextGeneration-Intel-Chipsets-May-Drop-PCI-Bus-/

here's the wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

As quoted from wiki page:
"A PCIe card will fit into a slot of its physical size or larger, but
may not fit into a smaller PCIe slot. Some slots use open-ended sockets
to permit physically longer cards and will negotiate the best available
electrical connection. The number of lanes actually connected to a slot
may also be less than the number supported by the physical slot size. An
example is a x8 slot that actually only runs at �1; these slots will
allow any �1, �2, �4 or �8 card to be used, though only running at �1
speed. This type of socket is described as a �8 (�1 mode) slot, meaning
it physically accepts up to �8 cards but only runs at �1 speed. The
advantage gained is that a larger range of PCIe cards can still be used
without requiring the motherboard hardware to support the full transfer
rate, which keeps design and implementation costs down."

JD
From: - Bobb - on

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My kid, bless her, bought a Slimline and she thought it had a PCI slot on
> the motherboard so she could install a wireless adaptor. The slot isn't
> PCI, but I'm not sure what it is. Is there a new spec, PCI Express or
> similar?
>
> The slot is labeled PCIE16X, and my PCI cards do not fit. the card I have
> has an edge connector that is divided into three sections, but the slot on
> the motherboard is divided into two sections, and the smallest section is
> smaller than the smallest section on the board.
>
> The Slimline takes a card that's different than what I have, but I'm not
> sure what it wants me to plug in. I've run into a PCI spec that doesn't
> conform to what I know, and I don't know what to do from here. I need a
> wireless adaptor, and maybe I have to go with a USB solution.

That PCIe-X16 slot is Video

For wireless , look here - see INSTALLING cards
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01755081&tmp_task=useCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4191653&lang=en

Watch the "video overview" there

PCI Express x16 is a video standard - like AGP
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00877796.pdf
page 27 of 30

You can go HERE
http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx
and have it probe your model for parts info

From: Jeff Strickland on

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My kid, bless her, bought a Slimline and she thought it had a PCI slot on
> the motherboard so she could install a wireless adaptor. The slot isn't
> PCI, but I'm not sure what it is. Is there a new spec, PCI Express or
> similar?
>
> The slot is labeled PCIE16X, and my PCI cards do not fit. the card I have
> has an edge connector that is divided into three sections, but the slot on
> the motherboard is divided into two sections, and the smallest section is
> smaller than the smallest section on the board.
>
> The Slimline takes a card that's different than what I have, but I'm not
> sure what it wants me to plug in. I've run into a PCI spec that doesn't
> conform to what I know, and I don't know what to do from here. I need a
> wireless adaptor, and maybe I have to go with a USB solution.

It's looking like I will have to buy a USB-based wireless adaptor. Damn it!
I have an N-spec adaptor that I can give my daughter, but I have to buy the
USB device. Well, Fry's is on my way, sorta, to someplace I have to go ...