From: - Bobb - on
Anyone used the WDC utility to reload a MyBook back to factory ( Fat32 and
programs)
I had one that was flaky and got shipped a replacement. I copied the data to
the new one, ran app to"write ones" to the old one and now that the original
has no structure want to beat up on it a bit and if Ok prior to sending the
bad one back I thought I\d use it to move some stuff between pc's here.
I went to WDC site ( god awful) and downloaded diags, utilities etc and when
I unzip/run the EXTFAT32 file to reload the drive I get " drive too small ".
Is that because the drive size is zero - the partition was wiped and I
didn't want to spend hrs initializing as NTFS. If it is EXPECTING it to be
already formatted then I wouldn't need their utility.

Anyone else tried this ?

From: John A on

"- Bobb -" <bobb(a)noemail.123> wrote in message
> Anyone used the WDC utility to reload a MyBook back to factory ( Fat32 and
> programs)
> I had one that was flaky and got shipped a replacement. I copied the data
> the new one, ran app to"write ones" to the old one and now that the
original
> has no structure want to beat up on it a bit and if Ok prior to sending
the
> bad one back I thought I\d use it to move some stuff between pc's here.
> I went to WDC site ( god awful) and downloaded diags, utilities etc and
when
> I unzip/run the EXTFAT32 file to reload the drive I get " drive too small
".
> Is that because the drive size is zero - the partition was wiped and I
> didn't want to spend hrs initializing as NTFS. If it is EXPECTING it to
be
> already formatted then I wouldn't need their utility.
>
> Anyone else tried this ?

I had a long battle with WDC over converting a 640G external drive back from
NTFS to FAT. The first six months were spent trying to convince them that
they actually offer a 640G product but, when they finally did, their
response was:

"Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

I am really sorry to hear that you did not get an answer from us. I did help
you long ago but I guess your case was somehow lost in our databases because
I never got an answer back from our second level support.

Please click on the link below and download the Acronis software from our
web page, this software makes images of internal disks but also format
external disks to FAT 32. Open the user manual, click on the search button
and write "Fat 32", you will get the instructions on how to format the
drive.

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

Another option is to format the drive in a MAC computer to MS-DOS FAT. If
you can have access to a MAC computer and do not know how to do it, give us
a call and we will help you to format the drive.

Sincerely,
Waldo
Western Digital Service and Support"

HTH

John A

From: - Bobb - on
Thank You John,
I think you saved me about 100 hrs of dealing with them.
I'll download it right now.