From: Dell Christopher on
HP Media Center PC m1050y desktop
WinXP MCE, Pent 4 (3.40 GHz), 2 gb RAM, 250 gb HD

I have tried using the Destructive Recovery option and, after that process
completed, the reboot keeps hanging on the WinXP splash screen with those
blue bars going left to right across the screen. It just stays there, and
doesn't advance any further.

An online chat with an HP tech support rep suggested the Recovery Partition
might be corrupt. Before I try a WinXP retail CD (recovery CDs not
available), is there any possibility the problem lies with the hard drive or
motherboard?

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

From: Shenan Stanley on
Dell Christopher wrote:
> HP Media Center PC m1050y desktop
> WinXP MCE, Pent 4 (3.40 GHz), 2 gb RAM, 250 gb HD
>
> I have tried using the Destructive Recovery option and, after that
> process completed, the reboot keeps hanging on the WinXP splash
> screen with those blue bars going left to right across the screen. It just
> stays there, and doesn't advance any further.
>
> An online chat with an HP tech support rep suggested the Recovery
> Partition might be corrupt. Before I try a WinXP retail CD
> (recovery CDs not available), is there any possibility the problem
> lies with the hard drive or motherboard?
>
> All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Why yes - there is. Could be motherboard, memory, power or hard disk drive.

Are you saying that HP cannot send you recovery CDs for this system?

You can test the components of your system with different things. For
example, if you know the name brand of the hard disk drive itself - you
could download the manufacturer's hard disk drive diagnostics and run them
on the drive to test for issues.

Since you have already done a destructive recovery and failed - you aren't
worried about losing anything... So a full test on the drive with a full
wipe (zero-write) to it might help the situation/help you narrow the issue.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Patrick Keenan on
"Dell Christopher" <dellc99(a)aim.com> wrote in message
> HP Media Center PC m1050y desktop
> WinXP MCE, Pent 4 (3.40 GHz), 2 gb RAM, 250 gb HD
>
> I have tried using the Destructive Recovery option and, after that process
> completed, the reboot keeps hanging on the WinXP splash screen with those
> blue bars going left to right across the screen. It just stays there, and
> doesn't advance any further.
>
> An online chat with an HP tech support rep suggested the Recovery
> Partition might be corrupt. Before I try a WinXP retail CD (recovery CDs
> not available), is there any possibility the problem lies with the hard
> drive or motherboard?

You bet, and the potential of drive failure is the fatal flaw in the
recovery partition scheme. It's too late now, but these setups normally
provide some way to create recovery CDs; if you didn't do that, you should
be able to purchase a set from HP.

If you use a retail CD, you'll need to use its installation key as well,
meaning that you own that license and that you are walking away from the
original license for your machine. You won't be able to use the HP's
install key.

From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped>

Patrick Keenan wrote:
<snipped>
> If you use a retail CD, you'll need to use its installation key as
> well, meaning that you own that license and that you are walking
> away from the original license for your machine. You won't be able
> to use the HP's install key.

Without a doubt - since the original OS mentioned was Windows XP Media
Center Edition... That's an OEM only product if I recall - so if the OP
actually has a retail CD ("Before I try a WinXP retail CD" from their
original posting) - it won't be a Windows XP Media Center Edition one. ;-)

I'd complain to HP and see if they could not provide me (even for a small
fee) with actual installation media.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Dell Christopher on
Many thanks for the replies. As it turns out, HP does not have Recovery CDs
for desktops over 5 years old. Further, I actually did find the Recovery
CDs I made, but apparently they are also corrupted as my attempt with them
resulted in that same frozen splash screen.

I was successful loading a retail WinXP Pro CD, but now I'm having a sound
problem. I went to the specific HP product support page and downloaded the
audio card driver. So far, I only get a few seconds of the Windows log-in
sound, then it stops. There is no sound on any other applications.

Any ideas? Thanks!