From: Wes on
On Jun 21, 2:57 am, TW <timwess...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 19, 6:30 am, Wes <wjltemp...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 19, 12:50 am, John H Meyers <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
>
> > > A detailed review of the 49G+/50G series keyboards,
> > > by Eric Rechlin:
>
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/86c86482eaac349a
>
> > > The 50G is basically a 49G+ with a serial port -- is it still
> > > the same "third generation" keyboard as the 49G+ ?
>
> > > More from Joe Horn about the 50G case:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/195bc79d30e78b48
>
> > > [r->] [OFF]
>
> > I had a 1st generation 49g+ (CN33).  My students called it the "cash-
> > register" from the loud clicks it made when pressing buttons with the
> > required force.
>
> > I got a 50g about three years ago and was very pleased it the feel of
> > the keys.  Not as good as a 41C, but still very good.  Then a couple
> > of months ago, the 50g's "/" key suddenly went mushy, like something
> > collapsed inside.  It's sunken in and has almost no travel and no
> > tactile feel.  You have to press it harder then the others to get it
> > to register.
>
> > So my take on it is that I was very happy with the 50g keyboard till a
> > few weeks ago.
>
> > -wes
>
> Sounds like a collapsed metal dome.

That's what I was suspecting. I was considering opening it up to see
if I could somehow pop the dome back out, but I'm hesitant to try lest
I make it worse. Is this worth attempting, or is it pointless to even
try?

> Unfortunately, it happens very infrequently with all of the metal domes
> that can be used now due to environmental regulations.

I don't get what you mean. Are only certain kinds of metals allowed
because of regulations? Why is it unfortunate that it happens
infrequently?

-wes
From: TW on
> I don't get what you mean.  Are only certain kinds of metals allowed
> because of regulations?  Why is it unfortunate that it happens
> infrequently?

It isn't certain kinds, but rather all the ones that are availiable
now must meet requirements about the materials. The types of metal
domes used 20-30 years ago had too much "dangerous" substances/non-
recylclable. The newer ones aren't quite as durable.

I meant unfortunate that it happens, not that that it is rare. That is
quite fortunate.

TW
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/21/2010 9:28 AM, TW wrote:

> The types of metal domes used 20-30 years ago had too much "dangerous"
> substances/non-recyclable. The newer ones aren't quite as durable.

My early HP calculators are those which are so good, and do last so long,
that they will never be "retired" or "recycled" at all.

Perhaps the use of "easily recycled" materials has created
a self-fulfilling prophecy -- goods that self-destruct so quickly
that now they _have_ to be recyclable.

[r->] [OFF]
From: meh on
So, I shouldn't expect the keyboard feel of the 50g to be any better
than the 35s I'm currently using as my daily carry-around-calc?
Hohum. :(

I suppose I shall have to wait to see what the new 11C/15C keyboard is
like!

Tra

Meh.
From: TW on
On Jun 22, 5:18 am, "m...(a)teh.ca" <wiggle...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I shouldn't expect the keyboard feel of the 50g to be any better
> than the 35s I'm currently using as my daily carry-around-calc?
> Hohum. :(

The keyboard of the 50g feels much more like a 48g keyboard, but the
key travel is slightly longer.

TW
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3