From: meh on

> The keyboard of the 50g feels much more like a 48g keyboard, but the
> key travel is slightly longer.
>
> TW

Ah, sweet.</cartman>

I. guess I should order a 50g then. :D

Meh
From: MonteCarloDrag on
On Jun 24, 11:11 am, "m...(a)teh.ca" <wiggle...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > The keyboard of the 50g feels much more like a 48g keyboard, but the
> > key travel is slightly longer.
>
> > TW
>
> Ah, sweet.</cartman>
>
> I. guess I should order a 50g then. :D
>
> Meh

I have the 48GX, 49G and 50G.
The Keyboard of the 48GX is unbeatable. The 49G is horrible (feeling
only, it has 12+ years and still working).
The 50g keyboard is as close as you're going to get to the 48GX
keyboard in a new calculator.

Best wishes
From: Wes on
On Jun 21, 2:57 am, TW <timwess...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 19, 6:30 am, Wes <wjltemp...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 19, 12:50 am, John H Meyers <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
>
> > > A detailed review of the 49G+/50G series keyboards,
> > > by Eric Rechlin:
>
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/86c86482eaac349a
>
> > > The 50G is basically a 49G+ with a serial port -- is it still
> > > the same "third generation" keyboard as the 49G+ ?
>
> > > More from Joe Horn about the 50G case:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/195bc79d30e78b48
>
> > > [r->] [OFF]
>
> > I had a 1st generation 49g+ (CN33).  My students called it the "cash-
> > register" from the loud clicks it made when pressing buttons with the
> > required force.
>
> > I got a 50g about three years ago and was very pleased it the feel of
> > the keys.  Not as good as a 41C, but still very good.  Then a couple
> > of months ago, the 50g's "/" key suddenly went mushy, like something
> > collapsed inside.  It's sunken in and has almost no travel and no
> > tactile feel.  You have to press it harder then the others to get it
> > to register.
>
> > So my take on it is that I was very happy with the 50g keyboard till a
> > few weeks ago.
>
> > -wes
>
> Sounds like a collapsed metal dome. Unfortunately, it happens very
> infrequently with all of the metal domes that can be used now due to
> environmental regulations. You just tend to not notice it because most
> metal domes are used on phones and those get replaced quite
> frequently.
>
> TW

I finally got up the nerve to open up the calculator to see what the
problem was. What I found was rather surprising.

The "/" key dome was NOT collapsed. It feels and clicks just like all
the other domes when I press it with my fingers.

Under each key is a tiny plastic post. When you press a key, the post
pushes against the dome which makes the tactile click and contact.
The problem with my calculator is that the post on the "/" key is
significantly shorter than the other keys -- so short that I have to
push really hard to make contact. It worked fine for three years, so
I can only surmise that the post got worn down. (I have pics if
anybody wants to see.)

It's hard for me to imagine that I wore it down with my usage. I'm a
high school teacher and use the calculator regularly, but I don't use
it all day and I don't really hammer on it. (No adrenaline rush when I
do division.) It seems like other more frequently used keys would
have worn down before the "/" key.

Someone mentioned that HP switched to a more flexible plastic to
prevent keys from breaking. Perhaps this is the culprit: more
flexible -> softer -> wears down faster.

My son also has a 50g. His "/" still clicks, but it does feel a
little different than the other keys. Is there a design flaw in the
length of the tiny post on this key? If anybody has a dismantled 50g
laying around, take a look under the "/" key and let me know if the
post is shorter than the others.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can fix this? I was thinking of
putting a drop of some really hard-drying glue to buildup the length
of the post again. Any suggestions?

-wes
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3