From: meh on
Hiho,

I've got a small but functional collection of HP calcs including a
41CV, 33s, 48G and 49G+. Now, they keyboard on the 41CV and the 48G
are pretty nice to use but the 33s is a bit horrid. The 49G+ is better
than the 33s but not as good as the new 35S I received yesterday,
which seems to have an outstanding keyboard. The old 49G (blue
beastie) keyboard was horrible and that unit was sold yonks ago.

My question is, how much better than these devices is the keyboard on
the 50G?

Tra

WP
From: Han on
On Jun 18, 10:08 am, "m...(a)teh.ca" <wiggle...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hiho,
>
> I've got a small but functional collection of HP calcs including a
> 41CV, 33s, 48G and 49G+. Now, they keyboard on the 41CV and the 48G
> are pretty nice to use but the 33s is a bit horrid. The 49G+ is better
> than the 33s but not as good as the new 35S I received yesterday,
> which seems to have an outstanding keyboard. The old 49G (blue
> beastie) keyboard was horrible and that unit was sold yonks ago.
>
> My question is, how much better than these devices is the keyboard on
> the 50G?
>
> Tra
>
> WP

I own several HP49G+'s, 39G+'s, and 50G's -- the HP50G has the best
feel out of all three models. It feels softer -- as if there is a
layer of rubber insulation underneath the keys (perhaps there really
is). The HP48 keys have a more rugged feel. In terms of
responsiveness, the HP50G may require adjusting the =BounceTiming via
the command ->KEYTIME (I usually set mine to 100) depending on how
fast you type.

The HP49G+ keyboard (at least of the 2 I have) are horrible -- they
break easily. This is not the case with its successor, the HP50G. I
have not used the HP39G+ much to comment, though it definitely sounds
as hollow as the HP49G+ (I actually only bought it to open up and
possibly remove the LCD)
From: John H Meyers on
A detailed review of the 49G+/50G series keyboards,
by Eric Rechlin:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/86c86482eaac349a

The 50G is basically a 49G+ with a serial port -- is it still
the same "third generation" keyboard as the 49G+ ?

More from Joe Horn about the 50G case:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/195bc79d30e78b48

[r->] [OFF]

From: Wes on
On Jun 19, 12:50 am, John H Meyers <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
> A detailed review of the 49G+/50G series keyboards,
> by Eric Rechlin:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/86c86482eaac349a
>
> The 50G is basically a 49G+ with a serial port -- is it still
> the same "third generation" keyboard as the 49G+ ?
>
> More from Joe Horn about the 50G case:http://groups.google.com/group/comp..sys.hp48/msg/195bc79d30e78b48
>
> [r->] [OFF]

I had a 1st generation 49g+ (CN33). My students called it the "cash-
register" from the loud clicks it made when pressing buttons with the
required force.

I got a 50g about three years ago and was very pleased it the feel of
the keys. Not as good as a 41C, but still very good. Then a couple
of months ago, the 50g's "/" key suddenly went mushy, like something
collapsed inside. It's sunken in and has almost no travel and no
tactile feel. You have to press it harder then the others to get it
to register.

So my take on it is that I was very happy with the 50g keyboard till a
few weeks ago.

-wes
From: TW on
On Jun 19, 6:30 am, Wes <wjltemp...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 19, 12:50 am, John H Meyers <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
>
> > A detailed review of the 49G+/50G series keyboards,
> > by Eric Rechlin:
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/86c86482eaac349a
>
> > The 50G is basically a 49G+ with a serial port -- is it still
> > the same "third generation" keyboard as the 49G+ ?
>
> > More from Joe Horn about the 50G case:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/195bc79d30e78b48
>
> > [r->] [OFF]
>
> I had a 1st generation 49g+ (CN33).  My students called it the "cash-
> register" from the loud clicks it made when pressing buttons with the
> required force.
>
> I got a 50g about three years ago and was very pleased it the feel of
> the keys.  Not as good as a 41C, but still very good.  Then a couple
> of months ago, the 50g's "/" key suddenly went mushy, like something
> collapsed inside.  It's sunken in and has almost no travel and no
> tactile feel.  You have to press it harder then the others to get it
> to register.
>
> So my take on it is that I was very happy with the 50g keyboard till a
> few weeks ago.
>
> -wes

Sounds like a collapsed metal dome. Unfortunately, it happens very
infrequently with all of the metal domes that can be used now due to
environmental regulations. You just tend to not notice it because most
metal domes are used on phones and those get replaced quite
frequently.

TW
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3