From: cb135 on
All,

In Win2k my deskjet 5150 printer installation proceeds as expected
until it stops and a message appears, "Looking for New Hardware or New
printer detected, please wait". It then hangs here forever. This
issue is discussed here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00038749&cc=uk&l...

but following the steps doesn't resolve my problem. I know that it is
something to do with a previous installation being cancelled before it
could complete, but i don't know which magic registry entry and/or
file i need to remove to get a full install. Does anyone know where
the problem lies??

If it helps, i've looked in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/
Enum/
USBPRINT but it doesn't contain a directory starting with
HPDeskjetXXXX

Is there anything else i can try?

cheers,

col

From: Rev. G.G. Willikers (aka Mön§igñor ßoddoM) on
cb135(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> All,
>
> In Win2k my deskjet 5150 printer installation proceeds as expected
> until it stops and a message appears, "Looking for New Hardware or New
> printer detected, please wait". It then hangs here forever. This
> issue is discussed here
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00038749&cc=uk&l...
>
> but following the steps doesn't resolve my problem. I know that it is
> something to do with a previous installation being cancelled before it
> could complete, but i don't know which magic registry entry and/or
> file i need to remove to get a full install. Does anyone know where
> the problem lies??
>
> If it helps, i've looked in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/
> Enum/
> USBPRINT but it doesn't contain a directory starting with
> HPDeskjetXXXX
>
> Is there anything else i can try?
>
> cheers,
>
> col

physically remove usb cable from pc.

cmd line:

net stop spooler

(then)

regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

(remove offending printers)

(then)

cmd line:

net start spooler

(then)

Try installing your printer from scratch.
Make sure you have the latest drivers.

Let me know how this works for you.

--

Rev. G.G. Willikers

"Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation - nor would
I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in
fact exist, sir."
From: cb135 on
On Mar 16, 11:19 pm, "Rev. G.G. Willikers (aka Mön§igñor ßoddoM)"
<GollyGeeWillik...(a)spamgmail.com> wrote:
> c...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> > All,
>
> > In Win2k my deskjet 5150 printer installation proceeds as expected
> > until it stops and a message appears, "Looking for New Hardware or New
> > printer detected, please wait". It then hangs here forever. This
> > issue is discussed here
>
> >http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00038749&cc=uk&l...
>
> > but following the steps doesn't resolve my problem. I know that it is
> > something to do with a previous installation being cancelled before it
> > could complete, but i don't know which magic registry entry and/or
> > file i need to remove to get a full install. Does anyone know where
> > the problem lies??
>
> > If it helps, i've looked in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/
> > Enum/
> > USBPRINT but it doesn't contain a directory starting with
> > HPDeskjetXXXX
>
> > Is there anything else i can try?
>
> > cheers,
>
> > col
>
> physically remove usb cable from pc.
>
> cmd line:
>
> net stop spooler
>
> (then)
>
> regedit:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
>
> (remove offending printers)
>
> (then)
>
> cmd line:
>
> net start spooler
>
> (then)
>
> Try installing your printer from scratch.
> Make sure you have the latest drivers.
>
> Let me know how this works for you.
>
> --
>
> Rev. G.G. Willikers
>
> "Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation - nor would
> I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in
> fact exist, sir."

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the only thing that appears
under Printers is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\Fax

the offending printer doesn't appear here? The printer connects via
USB, does this make a difference?

cheers,

col

From: Rev. G.G. Willikers (aka Mön§igñor ßoddoM) on
cb135(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 16, 11:19 pm, "Rev. G.G. Willikers (aka M�n�ig�or �oddoM)"
> <GollyGeeWillik...(a)spamgmail.com> wrote:
>> c...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>>> All,
>>> In Win2k my deskjet 5150 printer installation proceeds as expected
>>> until it stops and a message appears, "Looking for New Hardware or New
>>> printer detected, please wait". It then hangs here forever. This
>>> issue is discussed here
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00038749&cc=uk&l...
>>> but following the steps doesn't resolve my problem. I know that it is
>>> something to do with a previous installation being cancelled before it
>>> could complete, but i don't know which magic registry entry and/or
>>> file i need to remove to get a full install. Does anyone know where
>>> the problem lies??
>>> If it helps, i've looked in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/
>>> Enum/
>>> USBPRINT but it doesn't contain a directory starting with
>>> HPDeskjetXXXX
>>> Is there anything else i can try?
>>> cheers,
>>> col
>> physically remove usb cable from pc.
>>
>> cmd line:
>>
>> net stop spooler
>>
>> (then)
>>
>> regedit:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
>>
>> (remove offending printers)
>>
>> (then)
>>
>> cmd line:
>>
>> net start spooler
>>
>> (then)
>>
>> Try installing your printer from scratch.
>> Make sure you have the latest drivers.
>>
>> Let me know how this works for you.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Rev. G.G. Willikers
>>
>> "Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation - nor would
>> I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in
>> fact exist, sir."
>
> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the only thing that appears
> under Printers is
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\Fax
>
> the offending printer doesn't appear here? The printer connects via
> USB, does this make a difference?
>
> cheers,
>
> col

No it shouldn't make a difference.
I guess the next question would be:

What model computer? Do you have the latest firmware,
chipset drivers for it.

And lastly have you tries a different USB cable.

I know these are simple questions, just trying to rule everything out.

From: Tony Hwang on
cb135(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 16, 11:19 pm, "Rev. G.G. Willikers (aka M�n�ig�or �oddoM)"
> <GollyGeeWillik...(a)spamgmail.com> wrote:
>
>>c...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>All,
>>
>>>In Win2k my deskjet 5150 printer installation proceeds as expected
>>>until it stops and a message appears, "Looking for New Hardware or New
>>>printer detected, please wait". It then hangs here forever. This
>>>issue is discussed here
>>
>>>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00038749&cc=uk&l...
>>
>>>but following the steps doesn't resolve my problem. I know that it is
>>>something to do with a previous installation being cancelled before it
>>>could complete, but i don't know which magic registry entry and/or
>>>file i need to remove to get a full install. Does anyone know where
>>>the problem lies??
>>
>>>If it helps, i've looked in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/
>>>Enum/
>>>USBPRINT but it doesn't contain a directory starting with
>>>HPDeskjetXXXX
>>
>>>Is there anything else i can try?
>>
>>>cheers,
>>
>>>col
>>
>>physically remove usb cable from pc.
>>
>>cmd line:
>>
>>net stop spooler
>>
>>(then)
>>
>>regedit:
>>
>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
>>
>>(remove offending printers)
>>
>>(then)
>>
>>cmd line:
>>
>>net start spooler
>>
>>(then)
>>
>>Try installing your printer from scratch.
>>Make sure you have the latest drivers.
>>
>>Let me know how this works for you.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Rev. G.G. Willikers
>>
>>"Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation - nor would
>>I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in
>>fact exist, sir."
>

> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the only thing that appears
> under Printers is
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\Fax
>
> the offending printer doesn't appear here? The printer connects via
> USB, does this make a difference?
>
> cheers,
>
> col

Hi,
Using regedit, delete everything HP from registry.
Is your W2K SP2 up-to-date?