From: Alan on
My HPLJ 5P has worked reliably for years, but recently it fails to
pick up paper.

It makes the usual clicks and other sounds till after a few seconds
when the paper should start moving there is a rubbery squeal and the
paper jam light comes on.

The paper hasn't moved from the tray though.

I tried cleaning the pickup roller with alcohol, didn't help.

I turned it off for a few days, and then it did work and I printed
about 30 pages normally.
Then the next day back to the same "jam".

Any hints?

Cost of professional repair around here is prohibitive, so either I
fix it myself or junk it.
From: who where on

www.fixyourownprinter.com
From: Arthur Entlich on
Alcohol may not be enough, especially if the wheels are wearing.

You may need a rubber rejuvinator

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: Arthur Entlich on
Let's try again, I didn't mean to send that earlier one it wasn't finished.

Alcohol may not be enough as the wheels may be too worn. You might try
a rubber rejuvenator.

Here are two examples of a source for the Rubber Rejuvenator made from
orange oil extract.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/20-1890

http://www.amazon.com/Spray-Cleaner-Rubber-Rejuvenator-Bottle/dp/B0000WUNW8

There are many websites offering an aerosol (spray) version, which I do
not suggest, since it is very difficult to control and works a bit
differently. If you do use the spray, spray some in a small bottle or
container and apply manually with a swab.

Art

From: Alan on
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:42:43 -0800, Arthur Entlich
<e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> wrote:

>Let's try again, I didn't mean to send that earlier one it wasn't finished.
>
>Alcohol may not be enough as the wheels may be too worn. You might try
>a rubber rejuvenator.
>
>Here are two examples of a source for the Rubber Rejuvenator made from
>orange oil extract.
>
>http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/20-1890
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Spray-Cleaner-Rubber-Rejuvenator-Bottle/dp/B0000WUNW8
>
>There are many websites offering an aerosol (spray) version, which I do
>not suggest, since it is very difficult to control and works a bit
>differently. If you do use the spray, spray some in a small bottle or
>container and apply manually with a swab.
>
>Art

Thanks Art.

I got it working by taking out the plastic panel over the oblique
roller and cleaning it all out. Didn't see anything stuck there, but
after that, and wiping down the roller with alcohol, it's working, at
least for now.

I may need rejuvenator down the road, but I'm not in the US and buying
online from there is prohibitively expensive.
Any idea what kind of shop or supplier would carry that?
Can you home brew it from anything else?

And what has happened to comp.periphs.printers?
It used to be much busier -- has everyone moved to a forum, if so,
which ones?