From: Trent SC on
A couple of weeks ago I received an email from T-Mobile telling me that
there was a software update for my HTC HD2, so once I had some free time I
picked up the phone and called their tech support line to ask a couple of
questions. it didn't go well, so they put me through to HTC's own tech
support line...

"Hello, can you tell me whether the software update is functional or
system-led?"
'Err, I don't know.'
"OK, should I update from the HTC site or the T-Mobile?"
'Err, I don't know.'
"OK, how do I back up my data?"
'You can use ActiveSync on your XP desktop.'
"Does that back up ALL my data? I don't have an Outlook account set up on
the phone, I use IMAP with gMail."
'Yes.'
"What about my emails, text messages, photos that I've attached to
contacts?"
'Err, I don't know. I don't think so.'
"And what about my email account settings?"
'No, it won't back those up. You'll be left with a blank phone after
the update.'
"So how do I back up the settings?"
'You can't.'
"OK, and what about the various internal settings which took me more than a
month and over 8 hours on the phone with your tech people to get the phone
to work properly; how do I back those up?"
'Err, I don't know. There might be a third party application.'
"Which one?"
'I can't recommend any.'
"And I guess the same is true for any apps which I've installed?"
'You'll need a third party application to back those up too.'
"Which you can't either suggest or recommend?"
'Yes, that's right.'
"Let me compare an iPhone or iPod. If there's an update, I plug it in,
click a button and go have a cup of tea. When I come back, everything's
updated and all the data is still on my phone. With your update,
everything's wiped, you don't offer any means of reapplying it, you don't
know of any means of backing it up and even if you did, you wouldn't tell
me. Is that a fair description of where we are?"
'Yes.'
"Can you go and ask all these questions from someone else who knows about
this phone?"
<long pause>
'OK, I've asked my supervisor and he says the same. But the new HTC
Desire has all these features.'
"This phone is less than 6 months old. Are you seriously suggesting that I
throw it away and buy another model?"
'No."
"So your telling me about this exciting new phone is utterly pointless."
'Yes.'
"Good bye."

So, on the basis that the manufacturers are about as useful as a fart in a
space suit, can anyone recommend what I might be able to do? The phone is
great, I really like its functionality, but there are clearly a few areas
where functional and internal improvements would make a difference. Is
there a trusted means to back up everything (settings as well as data)
before I throw this update at the phone?

Many thanks.

From: mike on

"Trent SC" <TrentC(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message

SNIP

> So, on the basis that the manufacturers are about as useful as a fart in a
> space suit, can anyone recommend what I might be able to do? The phone is
> great, I really like its functionality, but there are clearly a few areas
> where functional and internal improvements would make a difference. Is
> there a trusted means to back up everything (settings as well as data)
> before I throw this update at the phone?
>
> Many thanks.

I seem to recall that an old HTC of mine entitled me to a free copy of SPB
Backup. That specifically claims to be useful before/after ROM updates.
Not tried it myself but may be worth a look?

Mike