From: Nick Le Lievre on
I bought a brand new unwanted HTC Hero Orange contract upgrade on eBay the
other day for � 130. It is brand new and has only been opened to upgrade the
software, I think this means that the latest February Orange ROM has been
installed which will facilitate the unlocking procedure I wish to carry out
once I have purchased an unlock code.

If the latest ROM has been installed I might not need an Orange SIM to
unlock it but just in case I aquired an Orange PAYG sim off eBay (with � 0
credit) which someone was sending out for FREE (yes really I got it this
morning and paid � 0).

My question is will an Orange PAYG sim work in an Orange contract phone and
as I am in Jersey and there are no Orange networks here will it simply
connect to one of the local networks in roaming mode when/if I put the
Orange PAYG sim in the phone.

From: Borg on
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
> I bought a brand new unwanted HTC Hero Orange contract upgrade on eBay
> the other day for � 130. It is brand new and has only been opened to
> upgrade the software, I think this means that the latest February Orange
> ROM has been installed which will facilitate the unlocking procedure I
> wish to carry out once I have purchased an unlock code.
>
> If the latest ROM has been installed I might not need an Orange SIM to
> unlock it but just in case I aquired an Orange PAYG sim off eBay (with �
> 0 credit) which someone was sending out for FREE (yes really I got it
> this morning and paid � 0).
>
> My question is will an Orange PAYG sim work in an Orange contract phone
> and as I am in Jersey and there are no Orange networks here will it
> simply connect to one of the local networks in roaming mode when/if I
> put the Orange PAYG sim in the phone.

why not unlock it yourself. Its easy

look on XDA developers.

From: Nick Le Lievre on
Borg wrote:
> why not unlock it yourself. Its easy
>
> look on XDA developers

Yeah I am going too, but wanted to know if an Orange PAYG sim would work
on a Orange contract phone because I might need access to the phone
before unlocking it.

You see if I put my Airtel Jersey SIM in it will ask for the unlock code
and I will not be able to access the phone should I need to flash it.

I am hoping that the Orange PAYG sim will allow me to access the phone.

You cannot get FREE codes to unlock the Hero.

From: JL on
On 22 June, 15:43, Nick Le Lievre
<nicklelie...(a)jerseymail.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> Borg wrote:
> > why not unlock it yourself. Its easy
>
> > look on XDA developers
>
> Yeah I am going too, but wanted to know if an Orange PAYG sim would work
> on a Orange contract phone because I might need access to the phone
> before unlocking it.
>
> You see if I put my Airtel Jersey SIM in it will ask for the unlock code
> and I will not be able to access the phone should I need to flash it.
>
> I am hoping that the Orange PAYG sim will allow me to access the phone.
>
> You cannot get FREE codes to unlock the Hero.

The Orange PAYG SIM will definitely work. It might not roam unless
its been activated or swiched on to Orange UK first, but for your
purpose this does not really matter and you will have access to the
menu's etc.
From: Nick Le Lievre on
"JL" <newsaccount(a)mail2web.com> wrote in message

>> I am hoping that the Orange PAYG sim will allow me to access the phone.
>>
>> You cannot get FREE codes to unlock the Hero.
>
> The Orange PAYG SIM will definitely work. It might not roam unless
> its been activated or swiched on to Orange UK first, but for your
> purpose this does not really matter and you will have access to the
> menu's etc.

Just the answer I was looking for thanks, I have seen conflicting reports as
to whether the latest Orange ROM allows easy unlocking of the phone. Some
say that after they updated to the latest ROM they were able to unlock the
phone with a code they purchased. Others say they had the latest ROM but
when they unlocked the phone they just got a no service message when trying
other sims (but the orange one still worked).

I am going to check that the latest ROM is installed then buy a code, if it
keeps coming back with the unlock message after I have entered the code then
the unlock was not successful and I will have to root the phone. If the
message no longer appears then the phone is unlocked and if I get a no
service menu will have the check to see if the IMEI has been blocked.